Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken limp on Tree Peony

Posted by Rikk30 z5A NY (rikk30@hvc.rr.com) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 8:06

I just bought a new tree peony. The plant was fine at the store but a branch either broke while in my car (more than likely) or the wind broke the limb.

I noticed it while mowing the lawn. I immediately put the 18" limb (the only one with a bud on it) in some water in the hope that it would form roots and could possibly plant it in the fall.

Will a tree peony form roots like this? If so is there anything else I can do to help the limb survive? The break was about 1 inch above the root ball.

The rest of the plant still looks great, just lost about 40 % of its width.

I am new to peonies. I still am waiting for the fist bloom on the ones I do have in the ground.

Thanks,
Patrick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken limp on Tree Peony

Sorry about your loss. I would not expect the broken branch to root. I would make a clean cut where the branch broke off. The plant will do just fine without the broken branch. Al

o

It won't root in water. Place it in a free-draining soil like a cactus mix and keep it damp but not wet. Remove most of the leaves because they will die anyway. It might root but don't get your hopes up. If it roots, it will take several years to properly establish but you will then have two identical tree peonies.

o

Don't worry about a broken branch. A major one broke out of mine due to heavy winter snows, (and I suspect my husband threw more compacted snow on top of it while shoveling the walk). I was devastated but, lo and behold, it prompted the plant to send up 3 new healthy stems from the very bottom. Tree peonies are much tougher than I was led to initially believe.

Cher

o

Thanks for the advice all! I was really disappointed with what happened but things do go wrong sometimes. I am sure the original plant will grow back to its former size next spring.

A deer ate some of a pink one the other day but has not bothered it since. So far they do avoid peonies. They did not touch them last year but the pink peony was new this year. But the day lilies, they are lucky to get a bulb. The wonders of sharing my land with the animals!

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here