Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mislabeled Itoh at Home Depot

Posted by graycrna4u 7 (graycrna4u@att.net) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 8:31

Yesterday, I got excited at HD when I went in because I saw a beautiful red peony with a sign in front that read Itoh Peony, perennial, $29.99. It would have been a bargain at that size and that price. But as I looked more closely, it was obviously a Red Charm herbaceous hybrid peony. When I told the sales staff, they didn't really seem to care or understand the difference between herbaceous, itoh, and/or tree peonies. Just be careful with how the plants are labeled. Some people interchange the terms hybrid peony with intersectional or Itoh peony. They are not the same thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mislabeled Itoh at Home Depot

They may have had the signage switched...HD and Lowes are both selling Bartzella at that size and price. I grabbed one and currently have 5 beautiful blooms going' on. :)

It's really wrong that they don't pay more attention to what they are stocking and how it's labelled. If those weren't in bloom, you might have been taken in...and someone with less expertise probably would anyway.

o

I went back to Home Depot today, and under the Itoh Peony sign, they had many Bartzella Itoh plants (3 feet high by 2 feet wide) for $29.99. The manager saw me and asked if he got it right this time. I bought one.

o

Yeah, those big box places aren't the most knowledgable, but they are great for the occasional "find." My Bartzella from Lowes has been getting attention from all the neighbors. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here