Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ants and peonies -- why?

Posted by EarthlyDelights Z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 05 at 8:49

i'm new to peonies and notice ants, ants and more ant. there are only buds so far with blooms on the way. a friend told me they will get worse that ants will be almost embedded in the flower portion.

what is the reason for the ants? do they act as pollunators?

i'd appreciate any advise at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ants and peonies -- why?

The Heartland Peony Society has a FAQ section, and some of the questions are about ants. You might want to check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland Peony Society FAQs

o

The ants are attracted to the sweet juice of a bud about to open. They do no damage and are gone when the bud opens. If you pick a peony for the house ants will not be a problem. Al

o

thank you both for the information.
amulet, thank you for the web site, very informative.

o

In fact its an old wives tale that peonies need ants to bloom or be pollinated by them. The eye buds are set in the late summer into fall for the upcoming year.The ants as someone mentioned, love the sweet nectar. If they persist after the flowers open, cut the stems and shake the flowers and the ants will fall out of them.

o

Ants have this habit of liking sweets....and the wax coating on the bud is what they like. That's the only reason they are there....to feed.

They do nothing for the bud's opening.

On roses, aphids secrete honeydew....ants love honeydew...so the aphids secrete and the ants eat. Along comes a ladybug. Ladybugs like to eat aphids....but that's the ant's meal ticket...so they attack the ladybugs.

See, they're not so dumb.

o

When I cut peonies to bring in the house, I stick them upside down in a bucket of water for about 5 minutes to drive the ants out of the blooms. Works like a charm, and doesn't hurt the bloom a bit.

o

flowerluvr

thanks for that info, these flowers are so fragrant and i am having company on sunday, and would love to cut them and bring them in. the only problem, sooooo many ants inside the gorgeous flowers.

i'll take your suggestion and soak them before putting them in a vase.

i can't wait to get more of these beauties. i have them lining one side of my house, halfway up. would love to do the entire side in them and get some other colors. right now i have shades of pinks and white. i thought i had gotten some reds, but i guess they weren't marked properly.

again, thanks for your help

o

Oh do I feel relieved to know that the ants won't gobble up my buds! I have been knocking them off each day and wondered how futile this seemed to be...Never had a peony bush before.
Let the blooming begin!

o

My mother always said it was a co-op thing. Ants like the sweet peonie secretions and as they walk about and eat away at the waxy coating it loosens the the very tight cabbage-like blossom holders. I don't think it's required by the peonie for ants to be present, but I do notice that my peonies with the most ants bloom all at once and the blooms are fully opened, gorgeous and fragrant, whereas the peonies in a different area that gets regular bug treatments and thus no ants, bloom alot more sporatically.

o

I read (somewhere...) that you pick the buds when they just start to show color but not opening just yet; when they feel kinda like marshmallows. The ants are easy to remove being on the outside only and the peonies last that much longer in the vase! BONUS!

o

The ants love the sweet sticky section on the peony buds. The peonies do not benefit from the ants. And as the post from triple said, it's best to cut your peonies for cut flowers when they are at the marshmallow stage. A definite bonus is that your peony flowers last longer when cut at this stage. Cutting at this stage also allows you to put them in the fridge, extend their vase life, to say when you need them for a dinner party and such.

Here is a link that might be useful: I Love Peonies

o

I used to have peonies and wondered why the ants..millions of them! They have to open the buds. They don't open on their own and without ants you wouldn't have peonies simple as that.

o

I disagree,last spring the ants ate all my buds.
I just sprayed them,they were corvered again.

o

Whatever "ate" your buds it was not ants. Ants will remove the sticky sweet stuff but they do not eat the foliage or bud. You need to look for some other pest if it happens again this year.

o

I have heard from several sites that tree peonies do not attract ants. Is this true? just wanted to get a second opinion

Here is a link that might be useful: One of the web sites that suggest this

o

Tree peonies generally do not attract ants however if food sources are lacking they may look for food on any flower even tree peonies.

You really should start a new topic rather than adding on to an old one since especially this one will be sent to the person who started the topic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here