Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsnobin

Coral Charm or Pink Hawaiian Coral

plantsnobin
18 years ago

Several years ago I ordered a collection from Wayside of four different Peonies. Of course I didn't label them, and only one of the coral color is still living. The plants are very vigorous, bloom early, are a nice coral color, fading to buff-ish. and leave huge seed pods. Any way to tell which plant I have? I can't really see much of a difference in the catalogs. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments (9)

• dighappy
    18 years ago

Can you post a picture? I am sure some of the more experienced peony people on this forum might be able to help you if they could see pics of the flowers, leaves and maybe one of the whole plant.

• PHILinShelton
    18 years ago

I have been looking at some that are being grown for cut flowers in a field near me. The flowers on Coral Charm turn to a very nice peach color as they age, while the PHC's just kinda poop out. Also, the buds on the PHC appear to me to be a lighter green with less of the darker coloring on the margins of the sepals that CC has.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

'Pink Hawaiian Coral' is one of my earliest peonies to bloom in the garden. Standing at under 2 feet tall it has lovely coral pink flower that fade to a shade lighter as time goes by.

• flowergirl70ks
    18 years ago

The flowers on Coral Charm are rather incurved and the flower stays round. Quite frankly, I don't know how it got to be a gold medal winner, it fades terribly.

• getyourleash
    18 years ago

I have Coral Charm and I don't particulary think it's a knockout flower, either.

• lilysgarden
    18 years ago

Coral Charm has the most horrible odor... as beautiful as it may be, it's scent is that of fish! Pink Hawaiian Coral will bloom for me soon (Coral Charm blooms earlier than Pink Hawaiian Coral here in my gardens) and I will try to remember to write back to let you know of its odor. At least that will be one sure way to tell them apart. I also find that Coral Charm has incredibly strong stalks (can grow totally unsupported) and the blossoms are semi-double and cup shaped, whereas Pink Hawaiin Coral appears closer to a 'double' form and its stalks benefit from some kind of support or peony ring. I hope that this has been somewhat helpful.

Good gardening to you,
    Lily

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I adore Coral Charm. It doesn't fade for me--but then I have it in dappled shade under an elm tree. I also don't cut the flowers for the house. I don't have Pink Hawaiian Coral simply because I'm running out of room for more peonies, and I had to make a choice. This year's choice was 'Do Tell', to arrive this Fall.

• Sandalwood
    18 years ago

I have both, but prefer pink Hawaiian Coral. I love the stages it goes through when it blooms. I starts out a tight coral pink and opens to a semi doulble flower. I blooms over a long period and the older blooms fade to a lovely yellow. I have nothing bad to say about this peony. It has extremly strong stems and loves full sun. My Coral Charm doesn't perform as well, perhaps because it isn't in as much sun. The flowers aren't as beautiful (in my opinion) as PHC.