Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
couple of questions- 1st peony

Posted by cat2 z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 05 at 9:32

I recently received my first peony at a plant swap- it's probably either a Mons. Jules Eli or a Felix Crousse. I'm in Connecticut, and I understand they need a lot of sun, one of those round/meshed peony supports, and that it won't bloom this year. I've looked up some information and have learned enough to have questions.

1. Since they attract ants, should I not plant it in a bed right next to the house?

2. Do they really dislike being moved so much?

3. When and for how long do they typically bloom?

4. How big/wide do they usually get?

5. Do they do ok in sandy soil? And if I put a bit of compost or potting soil in with it, will it need any additional fertilizing this year or next?

6. After flowering is over, do the greens stay nice until frost, or do they start to turn earlier?

7. How much water the first season?

8. What kind of plants do other people typically put near them?

9. What sorts of diseases and/or wildlife troubles should I watch out for?

10. Is there anything else in particular about them that I should know?

Thanks for the advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: couple of questions- 1st peony

Thats a lot of questions. If you are thinking of the peonies keeping ants out of the house, they won't. They are no more resentful of being moved that other perennials, they just don't require moving. Blooming will vary but generally only bloom once per season. With a selection of peonies some early to some late the season is long enough. I allow for about 4 feet tall and wide. In sandy soil adding compost before planting and time release during the season will help make up for the nutrients lost with the water through the sand. The plants look good until frost. Average garden water is needed. Deer will not eat them. Enjoy! Al

o

1. I've never had ants on mine. Spray for ants and plant them where you want them.
2. Peonies like to stay where you put them, unless you put them in the wrong place. If your gonna transplant them, do it always in the fall. Sometimes they won't bloom the next spring.
3. Peonies are known for the grand but too short blooming season. 2 good weeks of color is about the maximum you'll get from them.
4. All depends on which ones you have. The ones I have are from 28" tall, to 36" tall. You have to know the variety you have and look them up.
5. My peonies are'nt paticular about their soil. I plant them with regular potting soil. What they ARE paticular about is the depth they are planted at. NO MORE than 2 inches of dirt on top of them.
6. Peony bushes stay green until fall. In extreme hot and humid weather, they will develope brown spots on them sometimes. If you use a fungicide on them, this will prevent them from developing it.
7. Keep the ground evenly moist, good drainage.
8. My peonies stand alone.
9. I have no wildlife problems, see #6 for foilage weakness.
10. Never plant too deep, never cut off to the ground until after August or fall die back.

o

• Posted by cat2 z6 CT (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 05 at 13:30

thanks.

o

Here is a fact sheet on the care of peonies, which should help answer some of your questions. Welcome to the peony addiction club!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here