Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

New Peony looks wilted

Kristen Hallock
14 years ago

My father purchased 2 peony roots for me and we planted them last fall. They are in VERY sandy soil.

They started coming up about 2-3 weeks ago (when I first noticed them). Then maybe a week ago I noticed that one of them looked wilted. It only made it to about 6 inches tall and althought the leaves are still green, they are curled up and well, wilted! I thought at first that they just needed water. Because last week it was very sunny here. But the water hasnt helped at all. Now I am looking online and reading about something called Peony Wilt.

Could my plant have this in sandy soil and when it is so young? The healthy peony plant is only about 4' away from it. I am reading online that I should cut out the bad parts of the wilted peony so that it doesnt spread, then its saying that you should also remove the soil since if it is peony wilt it, that is a soil-borne disease. But the soil is completely sand. So I am not sure if it really is peony wilt or not. I suppose I should look closer and see if I can see fungus or spores.

My dad paid probably $20-$30 for each of these peony roots so I am wondering if one of them could have been bad from the start.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living