Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of ants on blooms

Posted by suel41452 z6b-7aVA (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 9:46

Ok, it's blooming time - and once again, it'll be raining every day, wrecking the display in spite of supports - grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Is there an easy way to remove ants from peony blooms brought inside?? Every time I cut a bunch for a vase, ants keep coming out & into the house ins pite of all my efforts to remove them.

I'm thinking of totally submerging the blooms in the bathtub until the ants drown - anyone know how long they can hold their breath???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of ants on blooms

The ants are only interested in the buds, once they open they leave. I also bring in my peony blooms while still in the late bud stage, but have found the ants easy to wash off with a stream of plane water. Al

o

I hear the ants actually help open the blooms. Mine always have them when opening but leave once bloomed too.

o

If there are still some ants lingering, I cut the flowers and put them in a vase of water in shady spot for a half hour or so before bringing them indoors, giving the ants plenty of time to vacate.

o

Easy answer - it's what I do EVERY year. I have a small bucket of water. I dip the peony blooms, stalk and all in the bucket and secure them with a small weight to keep them submerged in the water for about 10-15 minutes, and the ants float to the top. I either scoop out the ants or add water to rid them via the overflow, and then gently shake the peonies before bringing them inside. I've done this for years. Never had a problem. Even if a stray ant does get inside, it's not like it's going to form a colony.

o

Sirmatthew - sounds like a good plan!! I'll try it next blooming season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here