Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
furbank_gw

Please identify this peony

furbank
9 years ago

Hi there fellow peony lovers! Pwin posted this image of his/her peony on 5/16/14 in this forum. Can anyone identify the species and share? I would love to have a few of these in my garden. A BIG thank you!

Comments (6)

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

It looks like Bowl of Beauty to me. Pwin posts quite a bit so she'll probably confirm or deny my guess soon! You can sometimes get Bowl of Beauty bagged at the big box stores but the roots will be tiny, probably take 2-3 years to get a bloom, or you can get it at most of the online peony growers to probably bloom the next year. It's a very popular variety so you're in a lot of good company admiring it! I think it's the same one that is in Davids10's post Nice Time of Day. That's a beautiful pic, too--you should take a look at that one if you haven't already.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Sorry, thought I'd already removed this duplicate!!!

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Mon, May 19, 14 at 23:04

• pwin
    9 years ago

Oh, I wish I had posted that! That is davids10's pic and a beautiful one. My neighbour has a large Bowl of Beauty but hers (and most of my peonies) aren't in bloom yet. :)

davids10 will have to verify that id.

This post was edited by pwin on Mon, May 19, 14 at 11:43

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

My first guess for this peony is Cora Stubbs. My second guess would be Gay Paree. They are both gorgeous!

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

hello furbank peony is bowl of beauty-about 15 years old

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Here is mine:

Afraid I can't help you with the name. It was already growing on this property when I bought it 35 years ago--languishing in a dark wet corner. I dug it up and planted it in the sun--and it has been beautiful ever since.

Whenever I inquire about its possible name, posters split between calling it Cora Stubbs or Bowl of Beauty--so I have taken to calling it Cora Stubbs rather than to wrestle back and forth between the two names.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the camera gives the center poofball more pink tones than it has in real life. Eyeballed in the garden, that center ball of ice cream is more creamy colored --at least on mine.

It sure is a beauty. Visitors linger long over it--they love smelling it too.

Kate

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths