Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your experience with the peony called Ludovica or Butch

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 10:09

I'm trying to decide between planting Ludovica or Butch. Both have a similar violet-red color. Would you write back your experience with either of these plants such as robustness, flopping tendency, etc.

Does anyone know the name of the peony that's on the top right of the Peony Forum? It rather looks like Ludovica.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your experience with the peony called Ludovica or Butch

I have not grow either but I do collect A.P Saunders and have been meaning to get Ludovica you can read information on both at Carsten Burkhard's web project Paeonia great website.

o

Carsten's is always the first place I go to look for information. By now you have probably found out that Ludovica is a short pinkish bloom and Butch is a tall red. I have seen Butch in Don Hollingsworth's fields and there it has straight very masculine stems. Seems like there were fewer stems to each plant but you can see it across the field. I don't remember seeing Ludovica so no personal comment.

o

Thanks for the info. After I posted this question here, I read somewhere that Ludovica doesn't take hot summer sun very well. That would tend to eliminate it in my southwest facing border. Butch sounds like a fine plant. Maifleur, your comments that "it has straight very masculine stems" and "it can be seen across the field" makes Butch sound like a very good choice.

I find it SOOOOO hard to decide between plants. May Merrysunshine, a red fernleaf found at Hollingsworth, sounds like a fine plant for my perennial border and am strongly considering that one too. I haven't found any criticisms of it so far.

I may resort to writing all the red peony names I like on small bits of paper, putting them in a hat, and blindfolded, reaching in and picking one! Sigh . . . Thanks for the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here