Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrytea4me

'Shimadai Daijin' in full bloom (pic)

berrytea4me
15 years ago

My 10 yr old 'Shimadai Daijin' is in full bloom this week.

Really love this one. It smells so good and is so carefree.

For several years it has been in a neglected corner- not even weeded or watered yet it continued to bloom. Now it is being taken care of again (you can see I'm still in process of removing the weeds) so it is putting up some new branches from the root stock. Also you can see two of it's 4 seedlings under it on the left side. A third just put up its first leaf between those two and a fourth that has 2 branches is out of sight behind the "mother" plant.

{{gwi:278862}}

Comments (7)

• rian
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I have a purple (unidentified) that I think might be shima daijin--it had its first bloom this year.

Congratulations on the seedlings. You will have fun growing them. I hope they turn out as gorgeous as mama. A person really can't have too many tree peonies!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Very nice! Thanks for posting the picture! Such a bold color!
    Rian, how are your TPs from Park's?

• berrytea4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just love this time of year!
    rian, I agree that a person really can't get enough tree peonies...LOL

• rian
    15 years ago

In another thread Leon said that in his experience most no id purples were shima daijin. My purple from Park's looked like the pictures I've seen--not quite as full petaled as yours berrytea, but it is a young plant and this was its first bloom. The flowers on my rockii have bulked up since their first season.

The other 2 Park mysteries are doing okay. The one that was going gangbusters last year came back smaller and more subdued, the one that only clung to life last season has roared ahead and is now the largest of the 3 even though it did not bloom. Go figure!

Can you give us an update on your TPs, alina?

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Yep. The one that bloomed with striped flowers on its second year did not bloom this time. Probably, because I transplanted it from the pot to the ground. It looks healthy though, so I am OK with it. The second one looks just like 'Shimadai Daijin' on the picture above, so I guess it is a SD. I had a bright pink flower on another TP from Park's. Also very nice. 2 TPs I bought from Garden Crossing last year did not bloom. Again, all of them were tranplanted last fall. I am patient with them :-) I look forward to getting an established plants with multiple blooms like on the berrytea4me's picture.
    I bought three Itoh Peonies at Park's this spring. I hope to see their blooms next year...

• berrytea4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a sister plant to the one shown above, planted at the same time. They were side by side all this time. You'd hardly believe it if you saw it. It has always remained small.

I think the neglected corner was just too much for it to overcome. It looks like a 1st year plant even after 10 yrs.

I moved it last fall to what I hope will be a better location. It has a single stem (down from 2 before the move) with a single bud on it this year but I see new branches coming at the base.

I love the pictures posted of the striped one. That is really striking effect. Alina, you are lucky to have that one.

I most want to find a great fragrant yellow next. I've seen a few nice ones in catalogs but being that I have limited space and whatever I choose I'll have to live with for a very long time I really want to be sure that I choose the perfect cultivar and put it in the right place.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Thanks! I do feel lucky for that pink-with-stripes one. I got it for $8. I wonder what was wrong for your second SD. Shade, root competition? If your space is limited, have you considered Itoh Peonies? Fantastic yellows, very compact and prolific bloomers. They are still very expensive. More than $100 at most places. I bought them at Parks for about $40 per 1-2 eye plant. I also saw them this spring at our local nursery for $46 for a nice size plant. I am looking forward to see them blooming for me... Also, I planted them close to my SD. I think the contrast will be stunning.