Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save a tree peony (tree) - need advice ASAP

Posted by desilver 6A (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 10:38

Landscape contractor work people inadvertently cut off a struggling 4 year old tree peony several days ago (May 20). I have located the tuber and left it in the ground whilst I search for advice on saving the plant. There is nothing remaining of the foliage or stem - just the tuber. Please offer any suggestions on getting the tuber through the summer alive!
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save a tree peony (tree) - need advice ASAP

The only advice is to plant it deep 6 or so inches below the surface. What you have is the nurse root of a grafted tree peony. Plant in an area that will not be disturbed for several years and mark it well. If you are lucky the tree peony stem that should be inside the bundle of roots will send up a new shoot.

I might also ask for a replacement tree peony from the landscape company if you had pointed out that you did not want that plant disturbed. If you told them nothing you will have to remember next time you had landscaping done.

You should of course point out to the company what a tree peony is so they hopefully will be more careful in the future.

o
Thanks for advice

Thank you for your response. I'll hope for the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here