Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarah Bernhardt not growing

Posted by gardenscents 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 10:47

I planted a SB in the early spring here in SC. I also planted another one (different name, but don't remember) in an area on the side. Both get part sun part shade (we have very hot sun here in the summer). The unnamed one on the side is about 18" tall (and came up 2 weeks later) and SB in the front is only about 6" high and doesn't look like it's progressing. Are they slow growers? I know to wait for flowers. Could I have planted it too deep? Then what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarah Bernhardt not growing

Sarah is not a slow grower. All divisions do not get off to a good start and I would not worry about Sarah as she will probably catch up in time. You may have planted too deep for your area, but that would not affect the growing, in most cases, just the blooming, as it affects the amount of winter chilling available to the buds. Al

o

Should I dig it up in the fall and raise it some? After all, I did plant it for the blooms! LOL! It's also surrounded by miniature gardenias and a large out of control tickseed that I was thinking of moving to give her more room...

o

Yes I would raise it in the fall until you can see next years buds. In your zone(as in mine) you should be able to see next years buds during the winter every year to be assured of enough winter chilling. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here