Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

What is this unscented mystery peony?

jlc102482
13 years ago

Hello, I posted this message on the "Name That Plant!" forum where it was suggested I try asking here instead.

I recently discovered an old-looking, rather neglected peony bush behind some shrubs in the backyard of my new (old) home. I pruned the shrubs that were crowding it and now the peony is blooming, but I can't identify what type it is.

I've attached a photo - the bloom on the left is fully opened, and bloom on the right is not quite done yet. My wrist is visible in the photo, which should give you an idea of the flowers' size.

The blooms are large, very light pink and unscented. Some of the petals have darker pink splotches on a few of the petals, like someone splashed them with paint. The center of the peony (the stamens, if that is the right word) are yellow. Buds that haven't opened yet have petals that are edged in light green, which is visible in the bloom on the right.

They are growing out of what looks like a small tree trunk. I'll attach a photo of that in a follow-up message, as I'm not sure how to post two photos here!

Can anyone help ID these lovely blooms?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery peony

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz