Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

First peony to bloom in my garden!

KarenPA_6b
9 years ago

This is a Fernleaf Hybrid that I purchased from Adelman peonies last fall. It is probably a hybrid of anomala species. The flowers are magenta.

Comments (14)

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up shot.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nova, a light yellow single, ordered from Gilbert Wild last fall also opened today.

• graycrna4u
    9 years ago

They are both beautiful. I am happy for you.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Very brilliant magenta, bet it really catches the eye! I don't have a fernleaf peony, it is very attractive. I like Nova too.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I got Nova from GW last fall too, hope mine blooms this spring! It looks like a very light yellow, is that correct? I've read that Nova can bloom white or yellow so I wasn't sure what to expect.
    Kousa, how are your seedlings that you got from ebay doing? You had some pretty blooms last year, wondered if they'd look the same 2nd year or if the blooms would be fuller. Fun to get something like that that isn't registered to see what you end up with!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Nova is a cool light yellow color. The color is still yellow the second day. I really like it too. I did not expect it to be this pretty as it looks rather plain in photos. So far I am really happy with my peonies from Gilbert Wild. All are showing flower buds this spring. In fact, I have 3 buds on Nova.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

We have snow again.....Missed my first bloom, too.....Had tiny P. Japonica put up 2 tiny stems with 1 tiny bud, saw that it was showing color on Thursday evening, flew out Friday without taking time to take a photo and it's gone now with the new snow. Oh well, have plenty more that will make up for it!
    Kousa, I've ordered from GW just about every year and I've never had any problems with their roots. Actually had one I received last spring put out a bloom that same season. I know there are plenty of people who don't want to order from them but I'll keep doing it! Their roots are every bit as healthy as those I've ordered from much more expensive places. I probably have had some mis-labeled plants but one of my absolute favorites is a NOID, probably from them because I can find no pictures or descriptions of any peony I've ever purchased that matched. This is a pic of it last year. I divided it and kept several pieces for myself, sent one to my sister in OK and one for a trade. It reminds me of the colors of the dogwood blooms in East Texas where I grew up...

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

It makes me kind of anxious to see mine bloom. They are getting pretty close, maybe 1 week away from blooming here.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Liz, Your Noid is beautiful! Does it have a scent? Are the stems strong?

Stevelau, please show photos of your tree peonies and itoh peonies blooms. You probably have the most extensive collection than anyone here.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Kousa - love the fern leaf plant. The flower is just beautiful.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Tim. Though the blooms do not last. They are gone in 3 days.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

Sure. I believe I will only have about 15 species blooming this year, but there will definitely be more in the coming years. I think there are some people with a larger collection than me. I'm only at about 140 species total, most of them potted.

More than half of my main peony bed as shown here is going to bloom. I just added a nice layer of mulch over them today.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Can't wait to see it in bloom, Steve!
    Kousa, the NOID has a strong stem but I didn't notice a scent last year. I'll pay more attention this year, need to document what I have better so I can start chipping away at the NOIDs! That one blooms pretty early, I took that picture June 16th last year and I think my very first peony opened on May 31st or so.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Excellent pic of your hybrid, Kousa. Beautiful flower. As well as your Nova. And yay! It starts!

Liz, your noid sure is pretty!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm