Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlove_gw

Ground or Pots?

gardenlove
18 years ago

I have a bunch of Peony roots coming to me soon and I need a plan better for what I will do with them once they get here!...I know where I want to put most of them, but am wondering if they would be better off being grown out in pots until Fall for planting in the ground?...or if they can just go right into the ground right now?...I have several peonies that I bought already potted and getting ready to bloom at a local nursery, but the others I have coming are bareroot. I read on the web that fall is the time to plant Peonies(and I assume this is if you want to try for blooms in the spring- that way they have time to get established by then)...but whats the difference if you plant bareroots in the spring instead?..it just means that you may need to wait for the following spring to get blooms.....and I wait to plant in the fall, it would be the same wait...I am just wondering if it really matters and how care of the plants may differ between spring or fall planting times. If I put them in pots, how long should they stay in pots before being transplanted into the ground?..until fall?..or can they stay in a pot for a shorter period of time and still be safely transplanted sometime later this spring or even in the summer?...Thank you! GardenLove

Comment (1)