Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Some sort of wilt going on with my Peony, what is it? [pic]

Any ideas? I lost one last year with the same problem. Thinking it may be a virus? I am worried it could spread to other plants and I'm probably going to just yank it, but I would like to find out what it is if I can.

Comments (4)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Just a guess here--pull back that mulch and let the peonies "breathe." I think they are probably too damp and that is why your stems are collapsing.

And don't overwater them. They have deep roots--don't need continual moisture.

Seriously, if the mulch is pulled back to several inches outside the outer stems, you might see that peony begin to perk up in a week or so.

There also is nothing wrong with propping those stems up by a couple judiciously placed twigs.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kate, thanks for the help. I don't know, that doesn't quite sound like my situation. I have only watered that whole bed once this year and it is in full sun all day. The stems are completely wilted, no propping them up will help at all. The photo isn't the best perhaps. So, I did go and google Peony wilt and this is what I found....

Wilt

If some peony shoots wilt, yet the basal parts look perfectly sound, your plant may be suffering from Verticillium wilt. A soil-borne fungus (Verticillium albo-atrum) causes this disease. If you prune off the wilted shoot near the base and look at it in cross-section, you will see that the water conducting system inside the stem has turned brown. Verticillium sp is a destructive fungus and nearly impossible to kill because it lives in the soil. Because of this, if you have a confirmed case of Verticillium wilt (check with your county extension office), remove and destroy the infected plant. Do not replant with another peony or other plant susceptible to Verticillium sp.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I appreciate your help, but I think it will be necessary to pull them unfortunately. The plant has 5 nice fat buds and I am going to enjoy those before I yank it and that's the end of Peonies for awhile. I've lost two and this is the only bed they will work in, so I am on to other things. The bed is quite full with plants that are new to me and I am not feeling heartbroken at all.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

You may be right. Certainly, you can see the plant better than I can. Sorry it didn't work out, but it sounds like you have a garden full of lovelies, so maybe I don't feel too sorry for you after all. LOL

Kate

• billgoff307
    14 years ago

Peonies are prone to a disease called botrytis. This is caused by spores in the leaves which are then carried into the soil. Proper hygene of peonies is very important. In the fall, cut all the leaves and stems down to the ground and discard. Do not compost the leaves or stems, as this will spread the disease. I would carefully cut all the affected stems and leaves off of the plant now. Actually, the plant should do fine. Just keep an eye to see that the botrytis has not spread to other parts of the plant, (or to other peonies). A wet, cool spring often brings outbreaks of botrytis to peonies. Lots of mulch around the plant, such as you have in the photo, is not particularly beneficial. Hope this helps.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH