Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Mislabeled Peonies

KarenPA_6b
9 years ago

This year I discovered that I have quite a number of mislabeled peonies as some bloomed for the first time. Fortunately, some of these peonies turn out to be pretty nice. Here is supposedly Moonstone but it looks like Miss America. Does anyone else receive mislabeled peonies from their orders?

This post was edited by kousa on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:05

Comments (21)

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is supposed to be Eden's Perfume, but it does not look like any of the pics of Eden's Perfume on the web. Does anyone know what the id of this peony maybe?

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is supposed to be Gay Paree but it looks more like White Cap. This peony and the two above were all purchased from Van Engelen. I ordered only 3 cultivars and got all wrongly labeled plants from them.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is supposed to be Polly Sharp, but it looks like Edulis Superba.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This peony is supposed to be Lorelei but it does not look like any pics on the web of Lorelei. Does anyone know what this peony id maybe? It is a semidouble pink with the outer petals darker pink and the inner smaller petals light pink.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is Prairie Afire that does not look like Prairie Afire.

• pwin
    9 years ago

This was supposed to have been Wladyslawa.

I can't complain. I only paid $5 for it.

• pwin
    9 years ago

And this one was supposed to have been Kao.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pwin, your wlalyslawa is gorgeous! It looks very similar to Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt. Your mislabeled Kao is also very pretty. Tree peonies id is hard. Good luck!

• pwin
    9 years ago

It's even better open. It's definitely a keeper :)

I need to go to the nursery and see if the look alike is still blooming. I have an FDR opening. This unknown opened a week before and is shorter. Though, the colours are similar.

I'm going to wait till next year to verify the tree as someone told me first year blooms can be very different from the expected bloom. However, it is a single red with a silvery cast and distinctive lines on the outer petals. That is why I think it is Kokuryu Nishiki.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Very nice. Whoever they are.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe your noid blush peony is Moonstone. How ironic would that be!

• jackie_o
    9 years ago

Kousa your Prairie Afire looks like what was sold to my by Gilbert H. Wild as "Hit Parade"

• gardenbear1
    9 years ago

I ordered Edulis Superba in the fall of 2012 it didn't bloom last year but this year it bloomed and its not what I ordered the flowers are dark red so its just another noid peony in my garden.but thats ok I have 20 + that came out of a very old peony garden and the names have been long forgotten but they just love to bloom.

• amberdim
    9 years ago

Hello. Here,s my count of mislabled peonies so far... 2 Solange are not it...
    1 clare de lune is blooming red. 1 tree peony is likely Hanakisoi and not Naniwanishiki I bought. Still have 3 in question as they did not bloom this year(fall planted).

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackio, I think my noid is Hit Parade. Thank you for identifying this peony for me.

amberdim, can I ask where you got peonies? I hope that you can get replacements for your mislabeled peonies.

• amberdim
    9 years ago

Kousa, the nursery offered to replace them, but I can,t kill any living thing...so they are staying put..wrong tree peony is spectacular and I have room to plant more anyways so this weekend we,re going to Montreal to peony nursery to get some more...hope to see them bloom to get true to the kind. Solange bloomed one light pink, one pure white... Claire de lune has a dark red bud, but did not bloom yet.

• amberdim
    9 years ago

Double post

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by amberdim on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 20:54

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess if you like the mislabeled ones, then it is fine to keep them and not replace them. Hopefully you can get to see the blooms of ones that you buy at the Montreal nursery.

• portia
    9 years ago

Kousa I was eyein'g Van E for some peonies, but maybe not-- how are they dealing with the mislabeled--do they replace?

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not bother to tell them as these plants took two years to bloom. I do not think they grow the peonies that they sell. Even if I ask for replacements, I doubt that their replacements are correctly labeled. I would not order peonies from them if correctly named cultivars are important to you.

• portia
    9 years ago

That's interesting as well because I thought theirs might bloom first year given the description on their site. Good to know that as well. I did buy one set of 3 last year from them, but no blooms this year as I planted in spring--but won't repeat that then. Will see what comes up next year. ;)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH