Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_bc

TP Advice

holly_bc
13 years ago

Hoping you experts will share your thots with me.

Here are a couple of photos of my two TP's:

Front TP

Rear TP

7 Blooms on the Front TP and 10 on the Rear this year. Truly lovely. However, when I look at photos of TP's in general on Google, they are shorter and much fuller than mine. Mine grow just like a tree - lots of stuff at/toward the top with some branching maybe 2/3rd's of the way up the stem but only one main stem coming from the ground. I've only been in this home for 5 years but I'd bet these two have been here at least 10 if not 15 years and maybe longer still. I have no other information about them. Don't know if they are grafted or not nor do I know how to tell.

I want to move Front TP to join Rear TP. I prefer to do this now rather than the very yukky fall we usually have in PNW (somewhat like the very yukky spring we are presently having but colder).

I am quite willing to take a very sizable root ball, both width and depth. I read about feeder roots developing (or not having time to). If I take a really large root ball, would that a) not get the majority of these feeder roots and b) give TP lots of time to develop same over summer and fall?

I'd like to plant them within 3' of each other and, given their 'tree like appearance, plant an additional Herbie near them to somewhat disguise the long bare stems of the TP's. Any problems this might incur? I can expand the bed to whatever size I may need.

When I transplant, should I add some compost & bone meal to the planting hole? Anything else I'd be wise to add?

Thanks for the first aid. Much appreciated.

Holly

Comment (1)