Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Peony how to plant?

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 13:26

I bought an Alexander Fleming peony from Lowes today. First one ever! Now, I don't know a darned thing about peonies so maybe someone can chime in?

It came potted in a gallon pot. How do I plant it out? I do have a mostly sunny spot already chosen with good drainage. Do I plant it out like other potted plants, just dig the hole and plant? lol

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Peony how to plant?

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:20

I believe that you can plant it now provided that you disturb the root as little as possible. I planted a potted itoh peony in April and it is doing fine.

o

Make sure you don't plant it any deeper than it is in the pot. You might want to brush the potting soil away gently from the base of the stems and make sure it isn't in the pot too deep to begin with, probably 1 - 1 1/2 inches from the top of the root to the surface of the dirt in your zone. You can plant a potted peony any time from spring on to fall, you'll just have to water more often until it gets established. Until then it'll probably droop enough to make you worry whenever it gets really hot but don't panic; it'll perk right back up as the temps drop in the evening. Just water at ground level in the early morning or evening or whenever you see it drooping too much. Good luck with your new peony! Alexander Fleming is supposed to be really fragrant and it sure is pretty!

o

Thanks! I will make sure to plant it at ground level.

o

Sometimes a potted peony sold at this time of year is terribly root bound. I bought one a few years ago and when unpotted it was so tight, the pot needed to be cut off, I did not want to disturb the roots, so planted as it was. I had to put an emitter directly on the root ball to keep it alive until the cool weather of the fall would allow it to be dug up and the roots to be opened up, and replanted at the correct height for this area. I hope yours was in better condition. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here