Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do peonies spread?

Posted by jlc102482 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 14:30

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am completely new to peonies and have inherited a great deal of them with my new home. Do they spread on their own like some other perennials do? I have so many of what appears to be the same variety in my backyard that I cannot imagine they were all separately planted. Some of them look quite young and only have a couple small buds, much smaller than the bigger, more mature-looking plants. They stretch over an area that's about 10-15 feet long.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do peonies spread?

I'm a peony novice, but yes, they do spread out.

o
RE: Do peonies spread?

The root mass gets larger and one plant will in time get up to four feet in diameter. They do not seed themselves around, or send out stolons to take over the garden. Your previous gardener may have taken divisions from the older plants and spaced them around the garden. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here