Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

peonies in the high desert southwest ...?

vieja_gw
14 years ago

Coming from Iowa where my grandmother grew dozens of peony bushes that were over 50 years old, I wanted to plant them here in Albuquerque, NM at elevation of 5200 ft. as they are my favorites! I tried so many different locations in my yard with poor results until I found a spot shaded in late afternoon by a Staghorn sumac (also from Iowa!).

I have about 25 peony bushes now that are thriving & just past the beautiful fresh bloom til our recent heat. The arid climate & hot temps. don't let the blooms last as long as in Iowa & do not have the lovely peony fragrance in this dry climate but I am so happy to now have found a location they seem to love! Our winters are cold enough that the peonies like & they appreciate a shovel full of manure on the Spring.

They are just the old favorite double bloom varieties like Sarah Bernhart but those are my favorites. My neighbor just bought five blooming peonies in cans from Costco & is convinced they need full hot sun here (per Costco 'master gardeners'!) ... any of other southwesterners have any suggestions for her to plant those $$$ plants now here? She doesn't seem to find my experiences worth trying & I'd hate for her to lose those plants!

Comments (3)