Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

Tree Peony Died. What Can I Expect from Understock

In early September 2007, I planted a tree peony. Unfortunately, I can't remember its name. It came through that winter, and in the spring of last year it put out some leaves and some growth.

I thought that, if it came through its first winter without a problem, it would be okay after that. I was wrong, lol. Last August the leaves gradually shriveled up, and it turned brown and died. I have other herbaceous peonies in the same vicinity, and they are thriving.

Just in case (and not being familiar with tree peonies), I let it go through this winter to see what would happen this spring.

As expected new growth is coming up from below the ground, and I realize that's probably the understock - whatever the tree peony was grafted onto.

The question is: Will the understock turn out to be a nice specimen anyway, or is it not very promising? It appears to be growing quite well, but if it's something ugly and wimpy, then I might as well put it out of its misery.

I've added 20 or so herbaceous peonies over the last few years and they are thriving. But I have no luck when it comes to tree peonies. Perhaps I'm ordering from places that send immature specimens that just don't like my climate. Whatever the reason, I'm getting discouraged with tree peonies.

Thank you for any suggestions you can provide!

Comments (6)

• happyday
    14 years ago

I thought herbaceous peonies were not supposed to be able to form adventitious buds from roots that did not have eyes on them?

I have herbaceous peony roots that broke off when moving plants. They don't have eyes, just as rootstock for grafts do not have eyes. If I plant them, might I get some new peony plants from them?

To Lionheart, the question is, did you have the graft union well below ground. If you did, the tree peony scion may have formed its own roots, and the sprouts are from it. That is what it is supposed to do.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Almost all of the corals are adventitious.

Before discarding the tree peony look at the foliage. Is it tree peony or herbaceous. I have found that especially with the Chinese tp's they will have good foliage the first year but that stem will appear to die. The foliage that comes up from below grown with tree peony foliage is the same plant you planted. About the second or third year the plant will start becoming the beauty that it can be. I am aware that this is not what most expect but it is what I see in my garden.

If the foliage is from the rootstock wait to see what the bloom looks like. I plant deep as happyday stated and have had only one herbaceous rootstock come up. But it was gorgous. It looked like it was made from a glowing white piece of wax.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

My experience has been identical to maifleur's. Just be patient,(a requirement for peony growers!)and I expect you will be pleasantly surprised. Al

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

If there is both tree peony and herbaceous foliage coming up, when is the best time to dig up and get rid of the herbaceous part of the plant? Are there any special tips/techniques?

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope you didn't think I forgot about you guys.

Thank you for your responses.

I did try to plant the TP (and it is Chinese) deep enough, but wasn't quite sure if I got it right. You know how it goes...being used to herbaceous peonies, there's something "unnatural" feeling about planting a peony deeper, but I forced myself to do it. :-)

The foliage doesn't look like the foliage of the herbaceous peonies; it seems more lacy and delicate.

But I guess it can't hurt to see what happens. I had no idea what to expect from the TP, never having been successful with them before. :-)

Thank you all for the encouraging words and information!

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope you didn't think I forgot about you guys.

Thank you for your responses.

I did try to plant the TP (and it is Chinese) deep enough, but wasn't quite sure if I got it right. You know how it goes...being used to herbaceous peonies, there's something "unnatural" feeling about planting a peony deeper, but I forced myself to do it. :-)

The foliage doesn't look like the foliage of the herbaceous peonies; it seems more lacy and delicate.

But I guess it can't hurt to see what happens. I had no idea what to expect from the TP, never having been successful with them before. :-)

Thank you all for the encouraging words and information!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio