Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_fernandez

How do peonies shoots look like?

Miss.Fernandez
9 years ago

Last year, I bought a bag of about 3 Sara Bernhardt peonies at HD. I believe I planted it around Sept or Oct. I dont think I planted it right (I didnt know where the eyes were... I do now! LOL). What happens if I plant them upside-down? Will they find their way up and out of the ground or just rot?

I noticed several shoots coming out of the ground about a week ago in the same area where I planted the peonies. I'm new to gardening and can't it. Anyone has a picture? I'll try to photograph it tonight when I get home. Thanks a bunch!!!

Comments (10)

• milly35
    9 years ago

Hello Miss. Fernandez
    I've uploaded a pic of what my peonies sprouts looked like, I too planted mine last year & lost hope when nothing came up, but was pleasantly surprised to see them come up this year. No blooms this year I think hopefully next year. I'll also upload a couple more to show you how they're progressing, hope this helps! :)

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised, photos. This is what the little unidentifiable shoot looks like. Is it Peony?

Thanks Milly35 for your pictures. Make sure you post your flowers when they pop up! What kind of Peony is that?

What should I do now? Stake them? I see online that they bloom mid-spring. It's about Mid Spring in NJ and they're just growing. Will they grow flowers this year? I'm lost. LOL Thanks for all the help!!!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

That looks like a dahlia but I'm sure someone else can chime in also.

Your peonies probably won't bloom this year.

• milly35
    9 years ago

Gardenper I do believe you're right...this does look more like a Dahlia..good news Miss. Fernandez is that if this is Dahlia you will def. see blooms this year. For the peonies I've learned they can take 2-3 yrs for first bloom. I've uploaded a pic of my Dahlia for comparison, the Dahlias are growing in the background in the pot & ground. As for stalking I was told on a previous post that stalking is recommended.

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah. I planted Dahlias there too. LOL.I thought they didnt survive the winter. Oh Well, I guess they do!!!! I'm glad because I have planted more this spring. Thanks everyone!!!! I'llpost picts in the Dahlia forum!!!

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah. I planted Dahlias there too. LOL.I thought they didnt survive the winter. Oh Well, I guess they do!!!! I'm glad because I have planted more this spring. Thanks everyone!!!! I'llpost picts in the Dahlia forum!!!

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So now that we know that's not a Peony but a surviving Dahlia, when is the best time to plant Peonies? I'm a Home Depot shopper so forgive me and my 'generic' plants. I've been looking/seeing at a lot of potted Peonies and wondering if I should buy one of these and plant in the ground now. Will they survive? And if so, how deep should I plant the rootball?

• milly35
    9 years ago

Miss.Fernandez I planted my tubers about 15 in. Deep used a ruler to measure as instructions on the package suggested and best time to plant is early fall, I'm originally from N.J so I'd say for your zone maybe early September. I've read it's good for the roots to establish over the winter, probably why I didn't see anything bloom until this year. As for already potted peonies I'm not too sure, I've not tried transplanting from pot to ground yet, but this forum is filled with fantastic experts I'm hoping someone will give some input for you.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

You don't want to plant too deep, did you mean 1.5" or 15"? The eyes should be pointed up and probably no more than an inch below ground when you're done. You're absolutely right about them getting established over winter, fall is supposed to be the best dividing and planting time for peonies, but you can plant in spring as well if necessary. Some of the large growers mail bareroots in spring and fall but most just in fall. Potted peonies can be planted just about any time. I'd avoid the hottest part of the summer, though. It's always good to check to see how deep the eyes are for potted peonies, you might have to remove some soil from the top of the pot when you plant them out. Put them in a sunny, well drained spot and you're good!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus