Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

early, Mid season, late

pembroke
9 years ago

Please explain the seasons of peonies. I see some bloom a little earlier than others and then some a little later. The pink that I ask help in identifying is now in full bloom. Mid or late? Pembroke

Comments (3)

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Bloom time is absolutely influenced by the local micro-climate it's planted in. The bloom weeks are counted from the bloom date of Red Charm, I think! Don't have Red Charm yet so can't count mine that way! I have some that are described as mid that bloom with the earlies, lates are typically late here, though.
    IDing can sometimes turn into a multi-year process, Pembroke! I finally IDed my NOID1 from last year, it's Blaze. IDed by accident, went into a local nursery and they had several herbaceous peonies for sale and one variety had buds and blooms that matched mine well except it was more red. Figure mine is in full sun so it'd be a bit more washed out but the white flares on the buds are very distinctive, PLUS I know I ordered Blaze, was on my list to find but the flares weren't noted in the description I had. Do you have a list of the ones you're supposed to have? Is there anything completely distinctive about the plant or the flower? When I went about figuring out names I listed every variety I had then searched for and located those with legible markers. I grouped the ones I couldn't find into three lists: bloom time, bloom color and bloom shape. When one bloomed I started on the bloom time list to find any likely suspects then moved on to the other 2 lists. It worked on a few but not all--think I have some mis-labeled from the grower mixed in to make the process even more fun!

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I think LizinElizabeth said it all. I think there is a site called peonybloomtime that tells you the bloom time based on days from Red Charm. I had bought Felix Crousse & Karl Rosenfeld, both listed as red peonies blooming late midseason. I had them planted side by side, lost my tags & no idea which was which, but there was a few days difference in their bloom time so I was able to work it out by that site.
    I'm in southern KY, my peonies are finishing up, so I would think yours starting bloom now would be late.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Hey Ngraham, that NOID1 that I sent last fall was the one I discovered was Blaze if you want to mark it. I'll let you know if I figure out what NOID2 is!

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA