Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papercarver_gw

please help my peony survive my folly

papercarver
13 years ago

Hello folks:

This weekend I went to the garden center to buy a bag of potting soil and came home with a potted 'Coral Charm' peony in full bloom.

Once I got home I looked up the best cultivation for my impulse purchase and quickly discovered peonies are best planted as dormant corms in the the fall. Yikes!

So, I planted my new peony in a deeply dug (and amended with compost), well-drained hole in the full sun. I also watered it liberally once it was in the ground and mulched around its base (although not covering the base of the stalks themselves). I couldn't think what else to do, short of returning the plant to the nursery - and I'm still too smitten for rational thought.

The plant looks as perky and healthy a couple of days later as it did at the nursery, with blooms closing up tight at night and splaying open in the sun.

My question to you Peony Sages is this: is there anything else I can do to help this poor peony survive its being transplanted at the wrong time of the year? I would love to establish this plant as a permanent perrennial in my garden (where I've sited it by the way - no need to move it again).

Do peonies planted this time of the year ever manage to establish themselves and thrive?

cheers,

an impetuous peony purchaser

Comments (3)