Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acurakate

Peony in container MN

acurakate
9 years ago

Calling all Peony experts -
I have an idea for a unity plant in place of a unity candle for my upcoming wedding. We will take soil from each of our parent's houses and at our ceremony we will mix the soil with potting soil and plant in a large pot (symbolizing unity.) This plant will later be planted in our future yard. I would love to plant peonies! I have researched them and here is my idea. The ceremony is in September and we will not be moving to our new house until November. Therefore the bulbs will have to stay in a container through the winter as we won't be able to plant them in the ground. I am thinking of planting them accordingly 1-2" deep and covering with mulch and leaving this container in our garage through the MN winter. Or should the container be placed outside? If outside it will freeze solid for 3+ months. If left in the garage it will be quite chilled but most likely not freeze solid at all. Then the plant will stay in the container for it's first spring/summer to be transplanted into actual soil the coming fall. Does this seem like a feasible plan for having a strong happy plant in the long-term. We don't want our ceremony plant to die!

Comment (1)