Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds don't bloom & Ants

Posted by cindy036 IL (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 16:07

Can someone tell me why buds would dry up instead of blooming? This peony does not have ants if that is necessary. I have heard both ways, that ants are bad for the peony bloom and also that they are necessary! Any help is appreciated, thank you, Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds don't bloom & Ants

The ants don't hurt or help the buds to bloom. But, that being said, I don't know why your buds would dry up.

o

Google bud blast and it should give you some answers. :)

Diann
IA z5a

o

i've always heard that ants necessary to open buds. noticed
that buds give off a nectar of some sort possibly to attract the
ants. perhaps they massage the petals while drinking the
nectar. that said, have plenty of buds, no nectar and no
ants, and buds not opening, alas.

o

I have peonies and have no ants and they have bloomed just fine every year. Sometimes the weather including temperature, will affect how long it may take the buds to open. If the plant's roots are traumatized via planting while in bud, lack of water, too much water, underground digging from critters, etc., the blooms can abort. If they are not planted at the right depth, the blooms can abort or may never even appear. Sometimes diseases such as botrytis can affect the buds as well as the foliage. Additionally, insects such as thrips can attack the buds and they won't open.

Ants are not required but they are often attracted to the by extrafloral nectaries of the peony that secretes nectar. Many other plants do this like fruit trees, passifloras, moonflower vines, hoyas, etc. It is hypothesized that the nectaries evolved to attract certain insects like wasps that could help eliminate insects detrimental to the buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here