Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies not blooming

Posted by jeanniemarie Wisconsin zone 4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 16:20

Please help. I am in central Wisconsin, zone 4 and I have nine peony plants, one near the house and the others in a sunny garden. They all bloomed last year, but this year only one plant has a few normal size buds that will blossom, the others have tiny buds that are soft and brown, I mean they are the size of a pencil eraser, that is how small. We had a very warm March with temps in the 80's which I think confused everything, then in April and May normal temps with some freezing nights. Was it the weather that did this? or something else. They have been established for three/four years so I think the depth of the plants is ok. Thank you for your help. Jeannie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies not blooming

Jeannie I don't live in your climate, but my guess is that the freeze in May, caught the already formed buds, and caused the growth to stop. Al

o
RE: Peonies not blooming

I'm in Wis too and was just going to post something about my peonies not blooming. I have the same problem as you.
Some have maybe l or 2 buds on, mostly smaller buds that won't bloom. I have one big plant with tons of blooms, but they don't even get to flower stage, stay in a weird bud-type half open stage and are brownish instead of beautiful light pink. I am sure it was our weird weather, very warm in March, then very cold. I have some plants that wont get even one flower on them. Terrible year for peonies.

However, I did visit Boerner in Milwaukee last week, and a lot of theirs are blooming great. Maybe they didn't have the exact weather I had here, since they are more south than me. If you want a treat, visit Boerner NOW, they have hundreds of peonies. I wish I could post a picture. Don't know how.

My iris didn't do well this year either. Some also had the same type of problem, brownish buds that never developed, and some never had one bloom on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here