Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Black Peony Seeds

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

I just went on ebay for seeds. I've done this all winter buying seeds of every kind and found some black peony seeds to try to germinate.

I can gather you put them in a small pot in normal potting soil, keep them watered with a plastic baggy over them? Or do I have his confused with ginger? Well, if anyone has germinated their peonies by seed, please let me know. I have about 8 white ones I'm also going to try. They are very fragrant and I would like a few bushes in the yard.

Comments (8)

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Peonies do not come true to the parent plant so even though yours are white the seedlings like any children may or may not look like their parents. Do a search on this group for instructions on starting peony seeds. It is a little more complicated and longer than just putting the seeds in a container and keeping them watered.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those weird stamens in the middle of the flower is what I thought was a seed. I had 3 flowers with stems that I put in a 2 liter bottle with the top cut off, filled it full of dirt, over watered it, put the top back on, taped back in it's original place with packaging tape, loosened the top slightly and placed it in a nice hot window. Do you think the cuttings will grow like this?

As for when the seeds get here, I gather to nick the end of each seed until I see the white flesh, plant them nick white flesh down similar to that above for cuttings and wait until they grow, does that sound right?

Thanks for the help, I hope they root. If they do, I may buy a few tea roses from the florists, a single rose, then cut the top off, stick them in the dirt like the peonies, they should propagate the same don't you think?

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

The roses might but not herbaceous peonies. It is cheaper with roses to search out a rose that you like and purchase at the cheapest price you can find until you know if rose growing is for you. To have perfect roses takes a lot of work and a lot of assorted chemicals.

As posted earlier search through this group for information on growing peonies from seed. You need a cold period, warm period,the periods can each be three to six months or longer. Then a couple of years before peonies make their first true leaves. The first year set of leaves depending on parentage may not even appear above ground. Just nicking the seed will do nothing.

Nicking the stems of tree peonies while leaving that stem attached to the plant while at the same time covering the nicked area with dirt takes much patience. It will not work for the garden variety of peony.

The odd swollen center is where peony seeds will be about July to September. The center will separate into pods and swell. When they are ripe the pods will split open and you can harvest for planting. Some peonies will never have seeds but the pods will swell like the seeds are there. Do not pinch the pods to see if anything is in them because the seeds can be damaged.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

i just germinated some this year and boy have you got this mixed up. you should have started germinating them in september. what you need to do is either plant them now or wait until september to start trying to germinate. if you plant them now then you will probably get leaves next year. this first year will be just roots growing, NO LEAVES. the point of starting them indoors is to get leaves the first year, otherwise you would have to wait the extra year for a first leaf. you don't have to nick the seed, they do just fine sprouting on their own though it can't hurt.

good luck! of 11 seeds one i killed on accident, 4 came up with leaves and the others either didn't get warm enough or wet enough this year and should sprout next year.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The peony seeds I got are poppy peony seeds, so it's not even the same plant. Didn't know this until I got the seeds and read about it.

But what about the cuttings? Do you think the cuttings can grow roots? I have one with 3 red and one with 3 white. The white ones are very fragrant, not sure about the red.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

You can only do cuttings if it is a tree peony so enjoy what you have and start looking for other peonies for fall planting.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They died, but I may have over watered the soil before putting them under the 2 liter top, maybe I should have left the screw on lid off, or cut the cutting longer. I read on the internet all peonies can be started from cuttings, especially if cut near the rhizome, not to say you're not right, but it doesn't specify tree peonies only.

It says the cuttings have to be very long or tall, so maybe that's a factor, but regardless, I'll stick to the seeds I got and see what I really get from them, I think just a fancy poppy.

Thanks the for the advice.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Where did you get that piece of information?