Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round Holes in My Peonies

Posted by jxa44 CA 8/9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 16:42

hi all,

i went out this morning and noticed, just as my peony was about to bloom it had a round hole bored throughed it. I was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess as to what might be making the hole. i took the bloom off and opened it up, and there was no insect inside. i know that ants typically aren't a problem for peonies -- but we do have carpenter ants -- could they be making the holes/

j.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round Holes in My Peonies

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 14, 09 at 23:54

Not carpenter ants. They damage wood.

o

That's what i thought too jean, but as i watched the peonies the carpenter ants were the only ones i noticed going in and out of the holes. the peonies have both reg ants and carpenter ants on them -- which i know are after the sap -- but this hole is curious! the holes are perfectly round . . .

any guesses?????????

o

Any kids shooting BBs in your neighborhood?

o

Good guess happy day! but nope, that's not it. these peonies are foundation plantings, so if it was bb shot, it should have hit the house/windows too . . .

me

o

There are several insects that cause bore holes including catapillers, some slugs, and bettles. The bud is damaged for this year perhaps it will never happen again. Too late to do anything about it except look up boring insects that attack flowers. Roses are often damaged.

o

maifleur,

thank you for your thoughts. i'm not looking to necessarily kill whatever it is that's eating my peonies. I just want to find out what the insect/worm is. i am mostly an organic gardener, so i have a very "live and let live" attitude in my garden.

Your suggestions make me think that it may be earwigs now.

that said, i had a bumper crop of peonies this season -- in northern california no less! -- so the loss of a few blooms isn't catistropic. i'm just curious as who's doing the nibbling :)

again, many thanx for your suggestions.

joyce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here