Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which red peony should I get? Help!

Posted by dehor z8b BC, Canada (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 05 at 17:06

I drove to Ferncliff Gardens today to see their huge peony display gardens. (http://www.ferncliffgardens.com)

I'm still stumped over which red one to purchase - Red Charm, or the even blacker red, Orlando Roberts? They were the most beautiful reds I've ever seen in my life. Both plants had strong stalks, too.

Can anyone help me decide between Red Charm and Orlando Roberts? Tell me something about the plants that I would only know if I grew them, something to tip the scales in favor of one of them?

Deborah

Here is a link that might be useful: Orlando Roberts peony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which red peony should I get? Help!

Scanning around - the "Red Charm" looks like it's an early-mid bloomer with a bomb flower. The "Orlando Roberts" looks to be a mid-late bloomer and is a double. I suppose if you got both you'd have a nice period of red-blooming peonies! :-D

o

I have a beautiful blood red bomb type peony blooming in my gardens at the moment. It's called Firebird and I got it from the Peony Garden of Centerpoint. This will be it's second spring in my garden and it's just beautiful. :)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

I think Orlando Roberts is a much prettier Peony, although I have never seen both in person.

o

• Posted by dehor z8b BC, Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 05 at 17:42

Good suggestion - I'll just have to get both of them, and enjoy an extended bloom season!

Deborah

o

I have three Red Charms and you can not go wrong with this peony. Strong stems, early bloom, huge bomb-type blooms, red color that stands out from everything else around it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here