Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaherbmom

where to order peonies to plant this fall

vaherbmom
13 years ago

Your favorite source? (i did a search through the forum that did not turn up anything)

I am interested in both tree and herbaceous peonies

thanks so much

Comments (12)

• olgaflowers
    13 years ago

Got mine at Chateau Charmarron Peony Gardens ( www.irises.com very happy !!!
    olgaflowers,

• summerstar
    13 years ago

Hollingsworth Peonies for sure! I've started adding peonies to my perennial beds and received my first order from Hollingsworthpeonies.com last fall. I was really surprised and happy to see the size of the roots and quality of the peonies they sent.

All three plants did very well, producing more stems and flowers than I expected, especially since two of the three got caught in a weed killer spray drift. AARGH!

Don Hollingsworth has been a peony and iris grower for ages and is a wonderfully learned man. He's a real joy to talk to and does return calls, unhurriedly answering all my newbie questions and offering plant suggestions. Good luck with your purchases!

• minotpeonies
    13 years ago

Hollingswoth,hidden Springs Farm,solaris Farms,Adelmans,La Pivoinerie D'aoust all are very good.

• clemkins
    13 years ago

I've had a lot of luck with tubers ordered from Swan Island Dahlias (www.dahlias.com). Great quality - good service - good selection.

• clemkins
    13 years ago

Ignore my last posting - my bad - trying to respond to too many forums at the same time - got my peony responses mixed up with my dahlia responses - very sorry.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I ordered two Peonies from John Scheepers in 2008. Great quality. This year (1.5 years after planting), I have both of them blooming with 10+ flowers each. Both are true to name.

JS has only 13 varieties for sale this year, but the prices are significantly lower than at other places. Shipping is very reasonable too.

• vaherbmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, Scheepers prices do seem pretty good. I think I will try a few things from them this year and if they turn out well, order more next year.

very helpful, thank you all!

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Good luck!
    Note that John Scheepers is very popular. Usually, their Peonies get sold out fast, long before the fall shipping season.

• gardengirl_17
    13 years ago

I order all of mine from Songsparrow.com. Fantastic plants!

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

Terra Ceia Farms. I placed my order with them very early last year, and possibly part of the quality explanation was that I was first in line, but I had also read good comments from others about them before giving them a try.

If I had not read those very positive comments, I probably would not have tried them, because once I went to the website, I nearly fainted at the inexpensive prices compared to all the other places I was considering at the time. I probably would have supposed that there was bound to be something wrong with them to be selling their stuff so cheaply? But the roots we received were large and healthy, just as much so as if we had paid four times the amount they were charging. The peonies arrived in their plastic bags filled with sphagnum moss just about exactly when they predicted they would. The sphagnum moss seemed a nice bonus to us, and we added it to the planting holes.

The varieties available are quite limited at this place, but if they happen to sell what you want, that doesn't matter. They grow their plants in eastern North Carolina, and everything they sell will grow in the South. They say their peony varieties will grow well in many places, though, so if I lived in New Jersey or Michigan, I might still want to try their peonies.

My order was for lots more than just peonies--many bulbs!--and everything I received was top quality. I placed the order over the phone and the person I spoke to was quite pleasant to talk to too. They'll be getting more business from us.

Best wishes,
    Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Ceia Farms

• paddlehikeva
    13 years ago

Assuming the VA in your name indicates you are in Virginia, there are some growers around the state. Peony Meadows, Blue Rag Gardens, and Country Flower Garden are a few in my neck of the woods.