Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lobata vs. Lactiflora. Which should I plant?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 17:12

The summer sun in Central Virginia is very strong. I can water cone flowers one day and the following afternoon they'll wilt, but not because of the lack of water. It has to do with the intense sun here. I read that the Hybrid varieties (Lobata) can die back in summer heat and that comment made me rethink ordering Hybrids.

I read that the Chinese peonies (Lactiflora) holds its leaves right to autumn. That sounds like the variety I need, but this has limited my choices considerably. There's so many Hybrids that I love! I notice that Hollingsworth Peonies will openly state if a particular Hybrid is susceptible to die back in the heat of summer. Do you think I need to limit my variety of peonies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lobata vs. Lactiflora. Which should I plant?

No. The only limitations would be for teniflora species. You only think you have heat. In this area, and that includes Don Hollingsworth's, summer temperatures alway go above 100F. His plants are out in open fields. What you need to understand is that most plants that are stressed by heat or lack of moisture will draw moisture from the leaves back to the main stems and roots. When the temperature cools/rains that moisture will return to the leaves. This is what is happening to your cone flowers and others that wilt on hot days then recover. If you water water early morning or late 8-9pm after it cools. My thought is that watering makes for a weaker plant so unless there is a long drought 3 weeks or more I do not water.

Unless it has gone out of business you have a peony place in Gainesville, VA, Nicholls Gardens that you can check for plants. You can do a search for Virginia peony growers or nurseries. Do not discount your area parks for sources to view peonies to see if they will meet your whats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posible peonies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here