Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds on new peony not growing

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 18:02

I planted three peonies last fall and all grew flower buds this spring. One peony has grown quite a few stems, but the buds aren't getting bigger. We were really careful to plant them no more than 2 inches below the surface. One of the peonies has flowers now opening even after an incident of it catching some drift from a weed killer. I took the buds off a second plant that caught the weed killer so the plant would put its strength into defeating the spray.

What do you suppose the problem with the buds not growing on the third plant? Could this be typical of the first spring for new plants? This peony didn't catch any weed spray drift.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds on new peony not growing

Occasionally I have had a first year planted peony make buds which never grew and soon fell off. My assumption was roots were not yet well enough established to feed the buds, but that is only a guess. The next year blooming was normal. Al

o
RE: Buds on new peony not growing

Thanks for replying back. I feel less concerned now as your thoughts are very logical. The plant sent up about six stems and lots of leaves and that seems like a lot of work for a young peony. I know I'll be checking it out next spring, hoping for buds! Lord willin'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here