Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccas5

Need sources?

ccas5
18 years ago

I'm interested in buying some different colors of peonies and was wondering who is a good and reasonable source for them? My husband really wants the Coral Charm and I saw quite a few that I'm interested in. lol

Never knew that there were so many different types.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• Rockin2
    18 years ago

Check out Adelman Peony Gardens, they have a great selection.

http://www.peonyparadise.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelman Peony Gardens

• diannp
    18 years ago

There is Klehm's Song Sparrow Gardens, The Peony Garden of Center Point Iowa, Hollingsworth Peonies, Gilbert Wild and tons more.... All the ones I mentioned do have web sites.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• msbernard
    18 years ago

I am with Rockin2 - I live in central Oregon and have been buying from Adelmans exclusivly for the last 5 or 6 years. In fact on April 30th I went to their business in Brooks and got 4 new peonies. 2 are intersectionals (a cross between a tree peony and a herbaceous peony) I was amazed what valley weather can bring the early peony bushes to bloom companred to the high desert here in Prineville. I really like the yellow peonies. I purched'Sunny Girl" from Adelman's in 2002 and it is the biggest plant of all my 42 peony plants. I also have all of the intersectionals which have yellow blooms (except for 1 - Lemon Chiffon which is $350.00). Bartzella is down to $125.00 and Garden Treasure is marked at $125.00. If your budget permits these higher priced intersectional I can promise how much you'll jump and cheer when either one of them blooms.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    18 years ago

I'd say adelmans too, don;t let the prices scare you off, it is the current value for getting a plant that will bloom for you within this decade... lol

I don't know how well you know mailordering but I'd say, stay clear of ANYTHING that is not recommended by posters here, nobody is going to fool you and it is hard to weed them out.
    I have done it the hard way, ordering all kinds of crap and if I only had listened to the wise 'uns here, I had saved sooo much more money.
    Not that I ever have spent 125 buckaroos on any one single plant.. I try to stick in the 20-30 dollar group, but i do not have any treepeonies or yellows for that matter.
    Klehms is also very good I heard but I never got a peony from them, all their other stuff is excellent though!order with confidence.
    Think up a list of peonies you wanna see bloom like right away (within a year or two..)
    -then make second group od peonies that you like much but could wait a bit for to see results, buy them from a reputable source that has smaller but vigourus stock..
    I love adelmans cataloge and use it a lot for reference.

Good Luck!
    KLK

• diannp
    18 years ago

Well, I have purchased peonies from all the folks I've mentioned except Hollingsworth, and I plan to purchase some from them this year. Probably Garden Treasure, since Mr. Hollingsworth is the one who hybridized it. The Klehm family are peony hybridizers from way back. Gilbert Wild was a large peony hybridizer, but I don't know if they are still hybridizing or not. But the roots I got from GW were very large and had usually more than the suggested 3 to 5 eye count. The Peony Garden of Center Point, Iowa is just accross the county from me and so I know those folks quite well since I've been buying peony from them for the past three or four years. Gilbert Wild had the most inexpensive peony roots of the group and they were still very large. I've never purchased peony from Aldeman's so I'll have to check them out and possibly add them to my list. Oh yeah, I've gotten peony root from the New Peony Farm in Minnesota, they bought up most of what was the Brand Peony Farm. They also have good peony roots. You should check out any company you decide to buy from with the Garden Watch Dog. It's a good resource.

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• aurora1701e
    15 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with Full Bloom Farm in Lummi Island, WA? They sell "organic" plants.

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

Criminy.

Here I was hoping for some good tips on where to get Peony Trees inexpensively that would blossom in about three years. ;)