Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Peonies

Posted by gdebrocke z6 N.E. Mass (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 05 at 18:21

After just sitting there for a couple of years, maybe 3, after moving them 225 miles north, my peonies decided to explode last year! Looks like the same thing this year. My question is this, not they need any, but when's the best time to fertilize and what kind of fertilizer to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Peonies

I usually spread some dehydrated cow manure around the plant in the spring.

o

Soil up here is super acidic. Lot's of oak trees. Should I be sweeting the soil with lime or stove ashes? Don't want to ruin a good thing. How about a little superphosphate in the Spring?

o

Ya know, peonies aren't really fussy plants. You're better off leaving them alone to do their thing and not worry about them. You will end up killing them with kindness. Quite a few of my peonies are under black walnut trees and they do fine. Just enjoy their blooms and relax. ;)

Diann
IA Z5a

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here