Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing herbaceous peonies

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 18:45

Hi,
I know that peonies are normally divided in the fall but can I divide some peonies this spring after they finish blooming or should I wait? These plants are in desperate need of division. They are huge and have been in the same spot for about 15 years and the number of blooms has dropped over the past 2 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing herbaceous peonies

Wait until fall. If you do it now any food that they would gain this summer would be lost. You should plan on replanting in another area or completely refreshing the soil in the original spot as much of the nutrients have be lost in the old spot.

o
RE: Dividing herbaceous peonies

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here