Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about really old peonies

Posted by markparsons435 6b (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 18:58

We have a family cemetery that has peonies planted all over. The peonies are either white or pink. The white is fragrant. The pink is not. My mother told me that on "Decoration Day" (Memorial Day) the family carried mason jars of peony to the plots and planted them. Some of the headstones are from the early 1800's. I'm guessing some of the peonies are off-springs, but is it possible the peonies up there have been around that long? Did they name peonies back then?

photo peony_zps32eb25fa.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about really old peonies

I have no idea, but this is a fascinating post. I have read before that peonies will outlive a human, but I'm not sure about 100 years+ ??? Hope someone knows because I'm interested!!

o

Pretty cool. I assume since it's a family plot you were familiar with it as a child, do you have old photos that you can match with plants there today? If so, that seems pretty incredibly great to me. I've never seen a herbaceous peony that didn't die out from the middle after 10 years or so. I don't know if that growth form is something that has been bred in to new varieties as a side effect or if I'm just planting the wrong kind! And there are plenty of documented variety names of roses that go back that far and further, I'm sure it's the same for peonies. You'll have to post back what you discover on them, very interesting.

o

The middle of an old peony does die out as the new growth is at the edges. It is quite possible for peonies to be as old as you experienced. Al

o

My grandmother had peonies in front of her house I know for over 60+ years and never died out. When she passed away I move the same peonies to my house and have had the here for 15 years. They last a long time. Pembroke

o

I think the white is called Festva Maxima and the pink (I think) is Sarah Bernhardt. My wife loves the smell of the white one. Hope this helps. These are old peonies.

o

My father planted 35 peonies here 60 years ago, and none of them have died out in the middle to any significant degree. (This is one of the best years for bloom in quite a while.) I'm pretty sure they can live to 100.

Named varieties go back a long ways in Europe and the US, never mind Japan and China. Some cultivars came from Japan in the 1890s (e.g., Mikado), many were hybridized in France and England in the early 1900s.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here