Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflower_ilz5

Please, herbaceous peony favorites? peonies - not so favorite?

sunflower_ilz5
17 years ago

Howdy all,

I'm trying to decide what peonies to order. There are so many! The pictures all look so very pretty.

Since it might take several years after planting a peony before I find out what it will really look like and how it will behave, it would be wonderful if y'all would share which peonies you especially like and why. Comparison to other peonies would be helpful.

For instance, Martin Page in The Gardener's Peony describes 'Chiffon Parfait' as a greatly improved 'Sarah Bernhardt'. Page complains of 'Sarah Bernhardt's weak stems. I wish I had read this before I bought 'Sarah Bernhardt' :-)

Do you have some favorite peonies? Have you found a variety you like over other similar vaieties? Improved color? Improved foliage? Longer lasting? Have you had a peony disappoint you?

I am sure others in the forum would also very much appreciate learning from your experiences.

Thank you in advance,

Sunflower

Comments (11)

• laurelin
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sunflower,

I've got quite a few peonies. Unfortunately, most of them are very new (within the past two years). The only established bloomer I have is what was sold to me as 'Sarah Bernhardt' at a box store. I'm not sure it really is SB (it has virtually no fragrance, and SB is supposed to be fragrant, but it has all the other characteristics of SB, so it might just be an inferior clone of it). Anyhow, my SB is a pretty smallish pale pink double flower, with good foliage into the fall, but it FLOPS terribly, especially after rain.

I've got MANY in bud right now, and in a week or two I'll have much more to compare. The only one open right now is supposed to be 'Kelway's Glorious,' but the bloom on it this year does NOT look like the bloom it had last year, so I'm confused. I need to see how much KG varies depending on weather and soil. . . .

Laurel

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

I really love the first peony I ever bought - Edulis Superba. It blooms early, is a warm shade of pink, and has the most beautiful flowers. Here's a picture taken this morning:

{{gwi:647777}}

• ms_xeno
    17 years ago

I have a pair of "Moon of Nippon" plants that I love. Pictures on Google, or try Caprice Nurseries, which is where mine came from. When the buds first open, they look alarmingly like half a hard-boiled egg,:D but within a couple of days, the single white petals fan out and so do the masses of yellow stamens in the center. The scent isn't very pronounced but it's there if you get close and sniff. Mine have been open for about a week and should last a few more days at least. Usually they bloom a bit later than they did this year.

• msbernard
    17 years ago

My favorite herbaceous peony of all time is Joker. I also really like Bess Bockstoce.

• judyefd
    17 years ago

I adore "Vivid Rose" - gorgeous in color and fragrance. But this morning I'm in love with "Myrtle Tischler" - whose beautiful bud is opening for me for the first time! It was highly recommended at Countryman's Peony farm (Northfield, VT) for its beauty in all its stages.

By the way, they also highly recommended Edulis Superba - and I can see why! Great pic, Rosabella! Thanks.

• bamboogrrrl
    17 years ago

Peonies that have stunned me this year:

Festiva Maxima
    Dr. Alexander Fleming
    Bowl of Beauty

• Mozart2
    17 years ago

Sunflower:

Part of the "problem" lies in the fact that reading - even excellent books - can lead to a great deal of "confusion". Perhaps the best example that I can direct you to is to read the chapter on "Roses" in the superb book - "The Fragrant Year" by Helen van Pelt Wilson and Leonie Bell and then read the chapter on "Roses" in Eleanor Perenyi's also superb book: "Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden".

Both are superb books and I wouldn't be without them. Nevertheless, you'll note the differences of opinion and may begin to wonder as to who has the better information.

And, of course, if you read and consult "Peonies" by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall, you'll probably come to a different conclusion altogether from the sources you've consulted to date.

Here's a link to her book followed by one review.

Peonies

"If you are a peony lover, you will treasure this book. Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall not only knows her peonies and traces their fascinating history through the imperial courts of China and Japan, but she interweaves this with a history of how peonies have been used in paintings and porcelain. The beautiful pictures included not only show the various peony cultivars, but show the peony as it is used in Asian porcelains, paintings and European paintings. This book and its photographs are so lovely, that I expected to pay much more for it. It's a bargain, if you are a peony lover. Al Rogers "Peonies" is a bit more explicit about growing and cultivation, but this book compliments his, because of the romance it brings to the peony. It is also practical, listing the cultivars, showing many pictures, and recommending the more successful cultivars. If you love peonies and want to know more about their place in history, I heartily recommend Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Peonies.""

I have a copy of this book in my personal library and I heartily concur with this reviewer's comments.

Copies of this excellent book can also be obtained at or through your public library.

While all of this diverse information and images can lead to confusion, one should keep in mind that doing one's "homework" can be a process of gaining pleasure from the process of finding things out.

I went through your "homework" process last summer and fall and ordered the following peonies. I may add a few more over the next year or so, but I don't have that many spaces currently available to fill.

Although I initially chose Paeonia lactiflora 'Duchesse de Nemours', I decided otherwise and ordered "Florence Nicholls instead.

Here's a brief comparison between these two white Peonies.

First a link to a wonderful "search" and information tool.

Paeonia lactiflora 'Duchesse de Nemours'

The main "search" page:

PlantFinder Search

Now here are the images:

First, Paeonia lactiflora 'Duchesse de Nemours'

And then "Florence Nicholls"

{{gwi:1133776}}

Their respective descriptions:

Again: Paeonia lactiflora 'Duchesse de Nemours'

"This herbaceous (soft stemmed) peony cultivar is a shrubby plant that, each year, will typically grow to 3' tall by mid-spring, bloom, display attractive foliage throughout the summer and early fall, and then die to the ground after frost. An old standard that features large, very fragrant, double flowers (white bombs) with cupped, white guard petals and dense light yellow centers. Blooms in late mid-season (usually May in the St. Louis area). Glossy green foliage is divided into oval to lance-shaped leaflets. Excellent cut flower. (Calot, 1856)."

Source: PlantFinder - Missouri Botanical Garden.

Then "Florence Nicholls"

"FLORENCE NICHOLLS (VF)(M)(Nicholls) Very large, very fragrant rose-form white double that opens with a blush before turning pure white; petals have heavy substance, stems are strong; an elegant white."

Source: A & D Nursery

Two of the "reasons" that I opted for "Florence" was the factor of strong stems and the greater fragrance.

I also chose "Moon Over Barrington", whose image and description are below.

{{gwi:1133777}}

"MOON OVER BARRINGTON (F)(M)(Klehm) Large creamy white double with layers of billowing petals; lovely spicy fragrance; vigorous short plant, about 26" tall.

Source: A & D Nursery

I also chose "Chestine Gowdy" and also purchased her from A & D Nursery, who does not list her in this year's selection.

While A & D Nursery had a wonderfully clear photograph of her, I tried to find an excellent photograph of her and create an image link, but somehow it has failed.

So if you link here, you'll see her in her glory.

Chestine Gowdy

Image and Informational Source: Full Bloom Farm

"(Brand 1913) Beautiful old-fashioned, full double with guards and crown of light rose, crown edged with fine red line, collar is creamy white. Floriferous, strong grower, excellent fragrance, stiff stems. A gem."

Another informational source:

"A showy peony, with fragrant, double pink blooms. The outer petals are coloured a warm, soft pink; the inner ones are pink to white, extremely ruffled. The overall effect is of a rounded blossom, coloured a shiny silver-pink. The plant reaches around 95cm (3ft) in height and flowers at the end of May and early June, while its dark green foliage takes on good autumn colour. This can be grown in the company of the late summer flowering anemones."

Informational Source: The Plant Press (England)

And finally, I added to Philippe Revoire's

Here are two image and informational sources:

First image and informational source: A & D Nursery

{{gwi:1138129}}

"PHILIPPE RIVOIRE (VF)(L)(Riviere) A medium-size deep crimson double, almost purple, with an intense old rose fragrance; needs to time to get established; a short plant about 24" to 30" tall."

Second image and informational source: La Pivoinerie D'Aoust

Home page:

La Pivoinerie D'Aoust

This company is a Canadian firm selling to Canada, the US and Europe.

I had the same image problem with Philippe Revoire at this source, but, again, if you link to this, you come directly to the page.

Philippe Revoire

"One of the very few peonies of this colour to have a strong rose fragrance. Introduced in 1911 by the renowned French peony family, Rivie. The small flowers have the form of a loose double and are held well on reddish stems well above the dark green foliage."

Of course, all of these images bring up another "problem" for you to consider. Just as book descriptions can be conflicting, so can the images you will find at various peony source.

Fortunately, I have been extremely well pleased with the photos and information found through the "PlantFinder" Search tool of the Missouri Botanical Garden. I have also been well pleased with the quality of images and information found at a few peony sources - especially, A & D Nursery.

If you wish to spend a little time, I'd suggest that you pick out a peony that you are considering for inclusion in your garden and then find different images and descriptions through a google search.

I don't think that you'll be surprised to find out how poor image quality can quickly bring disappointment to an otherwise excellent candidate. I am particularly grateful to A & D Nursery for having the integrity to post superb images of Chestine - otherwise I would have ignored her completely.

So go exploring with some enjoyment and pleasure in seeing what you can find out and then choice the "candidates" for your garden wisely.

My best wishes in your "homework" adventures!

Bill

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Well, I've had some good bloom on my peonies this year, and my favorite is definitely 'Philippe Rivoire' - amazing deep crimson-purple color and a great fragrance. But a close second is 'Port Royale,' which is a Japanese form flower in a bright deep crimson - a real stand-out color. My floppy old 'Sarah Bernhardt' peonies are blooming fools as usual. I've been underwhelmed by my white peonies so far.

Laurel

• jennie
    17 years ago

I'm a newbie with my first blooms this year, my Immaculee blooms were stunningly beautiful with pale pink outer petals and crumpled inner petals that shone with sunlight from the inside out. A nice rose fragrance, but not strong.

Um. I got it at Costco.

• flowerchildCT
    17 years ago

A little late in responding, but if you can find it: Gay Paree: Hot pink with white center. I found one at a wholesale market (still trying to find more!) a few years ago. It's in it's 3rd year this year so it must have had 20 blooms. People literally stop in the street to check it out!
    www.boonebrierfarm.com/peonycatalog/peonypages/gayparee.htm
    I wish I had a photo in my garden (next to the Nepeta, Siberian Iris, some white allium... beautiful!!!!)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio