Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony rookie

Posted by aspen178 z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 19:04

Hi, I just bought peony tubers which I'm trying to figure out how to plant. They are bagged and covered with peat moss, and in spite of my search in this forum, I'm still not sure how to plant. Each tuber has two "branches" about an inch thick coming off a small knot, and some of the knots seem to have some growth on them. If I plant them laying flat, will they grow? I know I'm not describing this very well, but if anyone can figure out what I'm trying to say, please let me know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony rookie

There should be some little red-colored bud-shaped things on the roots; these are called "eyes" and in fact resemble potato eyes. You should plant the root with these facing up, though sometimes they face in different directions, so just do the best you can to get most of them pointing up. Prepare a large deep hole and plant the roots with the eyes no deeper than 1 1/2 -- 2" below the soil surface. Use a ruler, since it's easy to plant them too deep, which inhibits bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here