Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lifting peony roots for later replanting

Posted by aforest5 Virginia (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 19:05

Hi - My neighbor is knocking down his house later this week, to rebuild a new house - he has a beautiful long row of pink and white peonies that he is at a loss to save. I have taken a dozen plants with their roots and plan to replant them asap. However the remainder are still in the ground and I would like to try to help him salvage them. Can the roots be lifted and stored in some way from now until next spring (when the new house would be done)? Can they be stored in the ground in bulk, to be lifted and planted properly next spring? Any ideas how I can help him? Thanks!
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lifting peony roots for later replanting

If you could just find a place to replant them until next spring, they should be fine. If at all possible, move them by clumps without disturbing the roots much so the foliage can grow, you might even have bloom next spring. Not the right time of course, but if you want to save them, you do what you have to, & may very well be surprised at how well they do. I divided mine years ago right after they bloomed & still got some bloom the following year. That was before I knew not to divid in spring & not to plant too deep. They can handle some abuse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here