Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving peonies now

Posted by janeth_50 z6MO (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 19:23

I know that you should move peonies in the fall, but my sister is moving out of state next week. How deep do I plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving peonies now

The top of the roots should not be deeper than two inches anywhere. Here in California the top of the roots is AT ground level, if we expect regular blooming. Al

o
RE: moving peonies now

Plant them a bit high--to allow for the soil to sink down when you water and the moist soil also drags down the peony also. I grew up in peony country (up north)--we were always told to plant the eyes about 1/2 inch from the top. Water. And the eyes will end up no deeper than 1 to 1.5 inches--which was considered the ideal depth where I grew up.

You can also dig up the peony along with a big round rootball around the roots. Then ease it into a slightly bigger hole--but make sure the top (where the eyes are located) is about 1/2 inch above the soil line. Then water in slowly and deeply. That will drag the rootball down to the correct depth for growing peonies. The advantage of this method is that the peony doesn't really register that it was moved and it will often bloom the next spring, although not heavily. If you go bareroot, it will sometimes take a couple years for the peony to actually bloom.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here