Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a TRUE coral (salmon) pink peony

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 19:25

I'm looking for a peony that's truly a coral(salmon)pink; a single petaled variety. I've seen one at our local golf course and it's simply gorgeous, but nameless. I've searched all the peony websites, but I'd rather get verification about the color from someone who actually grows the plant. Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a TRUE coral (salmon) pink peony

Here is a link to Carol Adelmans nursery in Oregon. She only has three corals on her website this year but she normally has more.

Eleanor at www.etflowers.com may have some.

Please be aware of two drawbacks on the corals.
1. They fade to a light cream or soft white
2. The root pieces can regenerate new plants, called adventisious(sp)growth. Therefore if you move them in 3-5 years you may have new coral plants come up in the original space.

A third and this may be only my nose most do not have a nice fragarance. Some to me smell like rehydrated anchovies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelmans peonies

o

Thanks for the warning. Do you know of a good substitute that's less prone to fading? Maybe a pink variety that has some coral/salmon in it. I'm in love with the peony at our golf course so I keep looking for an answer.

Makes me wonder about Coral Sunset. The description at Hollingsworth Peonies says "the color soon passes to a harmonious light beige-yellow as the flower matures. In strong sunlight it will especially display multiple colors on the same plant."

Thanks for any help.

o

I was there this Saturday and Coral Sunset was the one plant that most were drawn to. The flowers showed a wonderful fading from coral to a lighter beige. They were very upright in full sun. Send an email to Carol Adelman or Don Hollingsworth and ask about other corals/pinks.

Carol normally has more corals than Don but Don has lots of contacts and information.

o

Summerstar, I have coral charm. It fades to I think more of an apricot/yellow color but now I wish I had kept closer track of it. It does not require staking. The buds are a very beautiful, darker color. It blooms fairly early. The firt year it bloomed it was so beautiful I had to stuff my face into a flower to smell it. Maifleur is right, Oh, it smelled terrible! I don't admire it THAT closely anymore!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here