Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impluse buy, need help!

Posted by HappyinTexas z7 TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 05 at 19:29

I've read a bit about peonies, but never grown one. A few weeks ago at a local nursery, I walked past a display of one gallon pots and one hopped into my basket. Imagine that!

It is a Sarah Berhhart. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (7A) where summers can have 100 degree heat and the winters can get down to 10 degrees.

Does this plant need full (Texas!) sun or part shade? LOts of water or not?

Tell me where to plant this girl. I'm excited about seeing her bloom next spring!!!!!!

Thank you!

Happy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impluse buy, need help!

I hate to say this , but even though your zone sounds ok, as far as providing a cool winter rest, I'd think your summers might be just too hot for them to do well. Do other folks in your area grow them with success?? Down there, and considering your heat and very hot sun, I'd go for a shadier and cooler location , if you want them to survive those hot summers.

o
RE: Impluse buy, need help!

My area gets over 100 F most summers what you have a problem with is humidity. You may need to treat for fungus several times in the summer to keep your plant health. That said enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here