Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony 'Early Glow' pic

Posted by laurelin z5a/4b NY (laurelin3@verizon.net) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 19:56

I'd like to share a picture of 'Early Glow,' which gave me its first blooms today. It was planted in the fall of '05, and didn't bloom last year. It's a little more creamy yellow in person than this picture shows. I bought it from Hollingsworth Peony Nursery.

Laurel

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollingsworth Peony Nursery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony 'Early Glow' pic

Oh, how pretty!

Early Glow is one variety I'm considering growing. Could you tell me, laurelin, whether those gorgeous yellow stamens really are loaded with pollen? If you touch them, do you come away with visible pollen on your finger?

Also, are there ants on the buds & blossoms? Do they seem to like EG at least as well as any other varieties that you grow?

And do the blossoms have any scent at all?

Thanks for the info!

o

Hi Carol,

'Early Glow' is LOADED with pollen. It has very little fragrance. I didn't notice nearly as many ants on it as on peonies elsewhere in the yard, but it did have some. It's a bushy, sturdy, low-growing plant; the blossoms are right on top of the foliage. I think it's a real winner.

I hope this helps!

Laurel

o

Thanks, Laurel. Yes, that's very helpful info.

So 'Early Glow' sounds like a good one for the bees.

When I asked about ants, I was actually interested in nectar, which is produced in and near the blossoms. Since this is a young plant, perhaps it simply doesn't yet have enough blossoms to attract many ants. Are your other peonies more mature than this one?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here