Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenwise_gw

Ok To Re-pot My Young Peonies?

JenWise
9 years ago

I started growing peonies from tubers (I hope I'm using that term correctly...they looked like tube-like roots) in a package from Home Depot last spring (2013), planting them in pots that are 11 1/2 inches in diameter at the top and 11 inches deep. But since I knew nothing about peonies and how temperamental they are about transplanting when I planted them, I only put about 9 inches of dirt in the pots, leaving 3 inches of real estate unused. They weathered our awful winter very well and popped right back up this spring, and they're becoming lush, young plants...but I'm worried that the lack of space might prevent them from growing more and blooming. My question is - should I lift them out of the current pots to put more soil beneath and replace them, or totally re-pot them, now...or would that just upset them? Is there a better time of year to do that? Any other advice I might need? Lastly, when should I expect blooms? A couple more years? Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Last question first. I placed a couple of bush peonies in the ground last year. These peonies were from a mail order, I see buds on them this year. You should expect the same. We had a bad winter in Toronto too, but this should not bother the peonies. In fact, peonies needs the winter cold.

Earlier this year, I transferred four peonies into pots for different reasons. Contrary to other people's comments, these peonies are doing fine.

As an experiment, I also divided a few bush peonies while it's growing. Maybe I will post the results when it's finished blooming.

Below are the four peonies I have transferred to bigger pots. Peonies grow fast, so make sure your pot is big enough.

Starting from left to right, the first is Magical Mystery Tour Itoh peony. I've received this plant from Spring Gardens in a very small container. I transferred it to a larger container until I find a home for it later in the summer or fall.

The second plant from the left is a Yellow peony tree grown from a seed. I got it from a trade. It was stored in the ground in the small container all winter.

The third Plant from the left is Scarlet Heaven Itoh peony.
    I took it from the ground and transferred it to a larger container until I find a home for it later in the summer or fall. You would need a half size whisky barrel to store a full size Itoh peony.

The last plant is a baby White tree peony I stored in the ground last winter. I dug it up this year to examine its root system, and to find a permanent home for it later in the season.

Here are the before and "after" pictures.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Magical Mystery Tour Itoh peony as received. I soaked it in water before potting. The pictures are date and time stamped.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Yellow peony tree grown from a seed "before" picture.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Scarlet Heaven Itoh peony "before" picture.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Baby White tree peony was dug up to study root system. The newly tree peony roots are more developed on one side which explains drooping of the leaves on the other side in the "after" picture.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another baby White tree peony "before" picture showing the over all view.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?