Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

First Tree Peony Bloom!

KarenPA_6b
9 years ago

This is High Noon, a first ever tree peony to bloom in my garden. I just got home from work and saw the one and only bud to open. Super excited, I grabbed my camera and took this photo. It has a pungent lemony fragrance like the smell of a lemon pith. It is not bad but not pleasant.

Comments (17)

• pwin
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Kousa! It's a gorgeous clear yellow, don't you think? My DH likened the scent to the lemon oil that is used for cleaning. :) I couldn't smell it. Every time I went outside, my nose became stupped up.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Kousa! I got that one this spring but it's tiny--I'll probably be waiting a few years for mine to bloom!

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

Beautiful boom! congratulations!

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

Kamata Fuji is the first one to bloom here. One out of 3 are blooming, but I expect the others to bloom too in the next couple days.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

Renkaku is coming close behind.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

All 3 look like very healthy, beautiful plants with gorgeous blooms! Congrats!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stevelau, I love your Renaku. If you have this one for sale or trade someday, please let me know. Is Kamata Fuji purple when viewed in person? Is there any red in it? Thanks for sharing your photos of tree peonies.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

I would have to wait until the branches harden off a bit before I can move them, and I have 3 renkakus so I could spare 1 of them.

Kamata Fuji appears kind of like a mix between red and purple, but it's fading to purple now.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

Here is my 2nd year Tree Peony "Peony05". The smell is not too strong, but similar to some roses. The Itoh next to it with already many buds for its 2nd year is the Morning Lilac.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

Here is the same plant

• gardenbear1
    9 years ago

First tree peony to bloom this year unknown but I like the color of it, my orange/ yellow hasn't bloomed yet but if it warms up it will.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

Nice color gardenbear. The flower begins to open larger today. I definitely have to water them as their leaves are turning yellow.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

Here is another one planted on the opposite side.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the tree peonies! How do you grow such healthy plants? I do not know why my tree peonies foliage is showing yellowing leaves when the herbaceous peony next to it is all green?

• gardenbear1
    9 years ago

I just don't fuss with my trees, The get fed once or twice while there grown, they get lots of water because they tend to dry out fast in the full sun. I would love to have a deep red peony tree but so far I haven't found one in my area.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Steve, Kamatafuji is gorgeous.

Shima nishiki, gardenbear. Very handsome tree you have there. (Oops, I rhymed!)

The red tree peony's stunning, peonea.

I think I'm running out of adjectives for all these dazzling, magnificent, resplendent tree peonies lol

• jackie_o
    9 years ago

Gardenbear I wish you could remember the name of the bicolor it's gorgeous!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County