Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

TP rootstock separation

ego45
15 years ago

After being 4 or 5 years in ground in my garden and about 10-12 years in a garden of the previous owner, my TP 'Taiyo' first time ever produced two shoots of herbaceous peony. At the last transplantation crown was planted at least 5 to 7 inches below original planting and I was sure that I'll never see a herbaceous rootstock, but...

This tree (4-5' tall) is scheduled to be transplanted anyway in a more prominent and sunnier location in a fall, so it will be dug out anyway and I'd like to solve the problem forever.

Here are some questions:

1) Could I successfully separate herb.rootstock from TP which I think/hope is ownroot right now?

I think it's ownroot because every year it was producing 1-2 new stems from below the ground with 'normal' TP foliage. This year it produced 2 TP stems + 2 HP stems.

2) Should I leave HP stems till fall in order to know what I should get rid of or just dig down right now and try to reap them out immediately?

3) What usualy used for rootstock? Could I let it bloom (both stems has buds) and see what it is?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery