Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies in Part Shade? or that really need FULL sun?

Posted by GardenLove z4-6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 05 at 21:33

Are there are Peonies that will do reasonably well in a dappled/partially shaded location?..or an area that gets shade most of the morning, then gets some hours of afternoon sun?(or vice versa)...The wall behind this area has light siding, plus another area I have available is within a few feet of a very bright white fence(this area gets alot of morning sun, then shade all afternoon), so the plants may get some of that reflected "brightness" from the wall and the fence...will that help keep them happy? I'm just curious about what varieties are more tolerant of such conditions...and also if there are some varieties that especially NEED that totally full sun location to do even reasonably well?....the cultivars I have to plant are: Sarah Berhardt, Kansas, Karl Rosenfield, Felix Crousse, Sorbet, Bowl of Beauty, Bunker Hill, Dr Alex Flemming, Baroness Schroeder, Shirley Temple, Festiva Maxima, Red Magic, Blue Lagoon, and Gay Border June...Thanks for any suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies in Part Shade? or that really need FULL sun?

As far as what cultivars do best in full sun I won't make any suggestions except try and find out the parentage of the ones you want. Tenifolia parentage likes more shade. My suggestion is on you day off, go to the spot you think you want to plant in several times of that day to see exactly where the sun is. Tell your family you need time away get a book you have been wanting to read, a good drink, and a comfortable chair. Sit in the shade and watch. Depending on the season what you see will give you a good idea of sun strength in a particular spot.

Early blooming flowers benefit from the sunlight and build energy before the leaves are on the trees and then go dorment until next season.

Think of the sun as a large hose. Sunlight as water. Depending on the distance and angle if you spray straight down at an orange(think plant)you get everything wet except right under the overhang. From an angle part will be in bright sun, part in light spray (non-yellow light rays) and the part directly around the orange receives no water except for runoff. Perhaps someone can explain why some plants need more of the yellow spectrum than others. At the distance from the sun to earth unless directly under something all the other light waves should hit the shady side of anything.

o
RE: Peonies in Part Shade? or that really need FULL sun?

They flower best when in full sun (at least 6 hours of direct sun). In more shady areas of the garden, foliage takes priority over flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here