Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Peonies Blooms 2014

KarenPA_6b
9 years ago

Here are some of my blooms for this week. Feel free to add your peonies photos to this post. Here is a new picture of Salmon Dream. The color is really pretty when viewed in person.

This post was edited by kousa on Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:50

Comments (111)

• pwin
    9 years ago

Shima Nishiki

• pwin
    9 years ago

Yachio-tsubaki

• pwin
    9 years ago

Yachio-tsubaki before it opened.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Koukamon

The colour of it may be unusual as it's known for being dark red/maroon, but mine turned out magenta. I put a lot of stuff in the soil that may account for the change.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Shimane Chojuraku
    This one almost opened all the way and Koukamon never really opened. Both gorgeous.

• littlebin
    9 years ago

Wow, Pwin, you have so many peonies!

• pwin
    9 years ago

High Noon

• pwin
    9 years ago

It was supposed to be Kao, but I think it's Kokuryu Nishiki. Can anyone verify?

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

illinoisdoglover, I always love to see your beautiful peony photos. This year, your pink jitterbug and green lotus are just breathtaking!

pwin, you must be in peony heaven with all of these beautiful flowers blooming! Shimane Chojuraku is ethereal! Color is amazing.

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Kousa: Did you ever get Commando? Please post when it blooms. Here is a few more pictures. Storm came thru and a downpoor........there goes the blooming peonies. This one was traded to me as "First Lady".

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Kousa: Sorry for not acknowledging you kind comments....... loosing cable here, having problems with internet today. Thanks for all the kind comments. Love everyone's pictures, my list keeps growing. Running out of room. Here is "David Harum", should be a dark raspberry color.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Kousa, they did not bloom at the same time. In fact, I live in a microclimate where my trees bloomed 1-2 weeks before others in the rest of the city and herbaceous started blooming a week later!

Peonea, that does look like First Arrival. Nice one! I'll verify.

Littlebin, the mature ones aren't mine. Well, I have one that is mature but it barely bloomed as a consequence of planting the roots too deep - lesson learned!

Illinoisdoglover, beautiful pictures. I look forward to more! Which is your favourite peony? I heard you had quite a few. It was Liz who told me how much she was looking forward to your peony show.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

illinoisdoglover, no I do not have Commando. I really like your "First Lady" peony - such lovely form and color.

Bartzella is now blooming.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some of my pinks: Mrs. FDR

{{gwi:1138945}}

Walter Faxon
    {{gwi:1138946}}

Amabilis
    {{gwi:1138948}}

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the whites blooming now:

Minnie Shaylor, one of the nices semidouble white.
    {{gwi:1138950}}

Miss America, semidouble white but form not as pretty as Minnie Shaylor
    {{gwi:1138951}}

Mother's Choice, first year plant
    {{gwi:1138952}}

Here is Gardenia, similar to Shirley Temple but much better form and stems are sturdier
    {{gwi:1138953}}

Shirley Temple, flower is a bit bigger than Gardenia
    {{gwi:1138954}}

Nick Shaylor, a very nice rose form white
    {{gwi:1138955}}

Amalia Olson, best and purest double white
    {{gwi:1138957}}

• Moxx
    9 years ago

I am in Toronto. Only a few of my peonies are in bloom, but many have buds on them. Most of the bush peonies were here when I brought the house, others I got them from trades, so I don't have names for them.

Yellow bush (herbaceous) peony

• Moxx
    9 years ago

• Moxx
    9 years ago

• Moxx
    9 years ago

White tree peony. I brought in the late 80's or early 90's from White Rose nursery.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

White tree peony. Another pic.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Short red peony. Early and very hardy. The tuber is like those from a dahlia.

Any guess on the name of this peony?

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Short red peony.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Short red peony. Some flowers are already finished.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Short red peony in bloom.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another Japanese tree peony from White Rose Nursery purchased in the late 80's or early 90's. The original tree peony was red or pink, but it did not survive. I took the plant back, but this dark red/black plant appeared. The flowers only appeared on the bottom of the plant this year.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Dark red/black tree peony

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Dark red/black tree peony

• Moxx
    9 years ago

My dark red/black tree peony looks better in 2006. What do you think?

• Moxx
    9 years ago

More to come soon. I do have names for some.

This post was edited by Moxx on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 1:49

• Moxx
    9 years ago

And another bunch coming up. Too bad the blooms on these bush peonies don't last too long.

This post was edited by Moxx on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 1:55

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

We went to the University of Michigan historic peony garden yesterday. Saw lots of beautiful blooms and Nichols Arboretum was gorgeous overall but... There was tons of space, probably around 50 acres overall. We went in the wrong gate and walked .8 of a mile (had markers so know for sure) to get to the peonies. The whole place was spaced out beautifully with lots of open space to enjoy but the peonies were crowded into a tiny area like an afterthought. They had around 400 varieties shoehorned in to a space around 30 by 80'. All of the beds are marked at one end with a communal tag which made it impossible to get a photo with the name of the plant in the shot with the flower. Don't get me wrong, seeing them all together like that is impressive but they have the space to make it amazing! If I had control of it and the huge number of volunteers I saw I'd remove the duplicate plants from the beds and reshape them slightly to allow more space between for people to get in and take pictures of the ones they liked and have them individually marked. Then nearby I'd start new beds with the peonies mixed in with other perennials and annuals to have an example of how to use them in beds that have other interest after the peonies stop blooming. There is easily enough empty space there to do both types of gardens and not feel crowded at all. Al of the raw materials are there already and a garden to walk through of mixed flowers would fit in with the feel of the place. I did take pictures but will have to wait until we get home to post them, look for them nest week along with shots from the APS annual convention!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Liz, sounds like you had a great time! Look forward to see your photos next week as my peony bloom season probably ends by then.

Moxx, that is the darkest and loveliest dark peony flower that I have ever seen. That is so pretty. Do you happen to know its name? I too seem to have a problem with yellowing of leaves of tree peonies too. The white tree peony is also very nice. Is your yellow peony macrophylla specie peony?

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Hi Kousa (K of USA?)

The text with the pics above explains the dark red/black peony's background. After taking the pink or red dead tree peony back to White Rose, there must be something left behind; partial grafting material, seeds, or extra tuber which created this plant. If you like the flowers on this plant, there are many look alikes like this one:

Black Beauty Peony

Black Crown & Jade Bead Rockii Tree Peony

Black Flower King tree peony

Black Jade Paragon (Guan Shi Mo Yu ) Tree Peony

BLACK LOTUS (Chu Wu), Hatsugarasu Black Chinese tree peony

Black Panther tree peony [Saunders, 1948]

Just to name a few.

I don't understand "macrophylla", and I couldn't find this word in the dictionary. The origin of the Yellow bush (herbaceous) peony is from the breeder John Simkins (Canadian peony society).

Here are today pics on the Yellow bush (herbaceous) peony in bloom.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Kousa, the whites are fantastic - exactly the kinds I would get. You said my unknown looked like Mrs. FDR except that it looks nothing like yours. Now I peered into paeo.de and I see that many pictures don't look similar. Maybe the pink comes as the plant ages? This is the first year for mine. Is yours a small flower?

Moxx, you have wonderful tree peonies.The dark red is fantastic. How strange that this year most of the blooms are on the inside and at the base of the plant vs that shown in the pic taken years before.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Damn! this site was down before I could upload any more pics last nite. We had a brutal winter in Toronto this year, affected many plants. My White Meilland rose is extremely hardy, even this plant has many die back branches.

A new bloom today. It looks like it's a Kinko or Kinkaku tree peony. The tag doesn't have a name. Only label as "Tree peony No 33". This plant was purchased June 15, 2013. So far, there are 2 buds on this plant this year.

This post was edited by Moxx on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 19:58

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just beautiful, Moxx. It looks like Kinkaku to me. I love the coloring on this tree peony.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

A new bloom today. This peony is from a package of no name peony roots from Home Depot.

I will get rid of the single peonies in this area and replace with a mass of red peonies (further above pics) and Itohs.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another view

• Moxx
    9 years ago

And a yellow tree peony just opened up. Looks like it's a Kinko.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

And a plant picture of Kinko:

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So beautiful, Moxx. I love the yellow pop of your tree peony and purple/blue in the background. Your pink single is also nice. It is unfortunate that you have to clear it to plant other peonies. Sometimes I will too have to make this choice as I am running out of beds to plant more varieties.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

My very first....it just bloomed :D

Any idea what kind it is?

I got 3 last last summer...free for the digging. The other 2 have not bloomed yet but look to be a dark pink.

Sure worth the dig!!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, they are beautiful! I love the light pink color of your peony.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

lilsprout, I am in Toronto. Tell me where to dig lol. Your plant could be a Raspberry Sundae. Stats: (Klehm, 1968), 28in tall, 36in wide, bomb double, mid season bloom.

Here are my blooms today:

Yellow tree peony with more flowers. The pink flower on the top of the picture is Campfire rose. It has a Peace rose look alike, smaller because it is not a hybrid tea, but much more hardy than Peace.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

First peony from the pot luck peony area. These are misplaced peonies. I want to see the blooms before deciding to keep or discard.

I will keep this white double peony.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another picture of the white double peony with Campfire rose in the back.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Kousa...I was so thrilled to see the color....I was hoping for pinks.

Moxx I wish you could have went with me. My sister did some digging with me....but she let hers die :( never even planted them. Something I'm sure you wouldn't have done! I Love your yellow ones!

It does look a raspberry sundae...wow so many varieties....

I'll be back with pics of the dark pink as soon as they open.

Thanks!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lilsprout, your noid has such a pretty pink color. Like Moxx, my first thought of it was Raspberry Sundae. This is my RS peony that bloomed this spring, second year.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread is getting too long to load. I am starting a new thread "Peonies 2014 #2" Please post your new photos there. Thanks so much.

Karen

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus